New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

plantacholic gathering

Started by charlie, August 20, 2014, 10:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Please let us know what works for you ASAP.
Thanks

lucius

I voted for the 6th.  I think I would be too tired from the garage sale afterwards.

guck

I voted other in an attempt  to not  put weight in the balance.  I will see what the verdict is and take it from there.      Still hope to meet you all.

Holly

I have to work Saturday so unfortunately won't be able to come if it's on Saturday.

fischkopp

I vote for other since I won't be able to join until the end the month.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Ok guys, the result of the vote are as follows

Sat. sept 6th - 5 (55.6%)
Sunday Sept. 7th - 1 (11.1%)
other - 3 (33.3%)

Edit Poll 
Total Voters: 9
Here is what I propose,
Given the Sat Sept 7th. commitment is the preference is the majority, I`ll host that 5 (up to 7 people if any last minute add on) @ my apartment from 1-3 PM.
With that base we can establish another date  for Sept. which is favorable to others, I would really like to get these plant gatherings a bit more structured & frequent.

I will PM those who are in for Sat. Sept 6 th. my address & contact #.

For Clarity -
This endeavour is not organised by the OVAS & is in no way a liability to the club.
This  endeavour is in no way an attempt to erode anything the OVAS Club stands for.
This endeavour upholds & embraces everything the Club stands for .
I stand firm in my loyalty to the Club( OVAS) & encourage all people on this forum to get involved with the Club by supporting it with a paid membership, let`s get organised & work with our only structured & registered club in Ottawa.
All that said, if you have an interest in planted aquariums you are more than welcomed to come hang out & meet your fellow plant hobbyist ( branded Plantacholics  ;D) where everyone there have the same common interest & can talk to you hearts delight without your spouse or significant other giving you that look  ;D
Regards 

lucius

ajm1961

I appreciate your dedication to the club and the hobby Errol. I support the fact that members are taking it upon themselves to organize get-togethers and share their views and passion for a specific segment of the hobby. It's not easy trying to please everyone at the official club gatherings given the diversity of the hobby.

Regards
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Dxpert

I missed the vote, however I would like to join. Sat. Sept 6 th works well. I think I still remember where you live, but please PM just incase I am wrong.

charlie

Quote from: Dxpert on August 27, 2014, 08:38:00 PM
I missed the vote, however I would like to join. Sat. Sept 6 th works well. I think I still remember where you live, but please PM just incase I am wrong.
See you on the 6 th ;)

charlie

Since I have a few parts kicking around for  a up coming CO2 Regulator build, I can do a short presentation of how to assemble your own CO2 regulators & the relevant parts etc, both Rah & Eric, have the same experience as me doing this, so they can also answer questions on this.
If this is some thing the others find favorable let me know, of course we can also talk anything plants, so this is a great opportunity to note your questions & I`m sure together we can make a few suggestions or at the very least point you in the right direction  ;)
I will provide some munchies, feel free to bring any personal beverage you like, if that choice is something alcohol, please do so responsibly as I do not support drinking & driving, so after 2 such beverages , I will not condone the consumption of more.
Errol

lucius

Quote from: charlie on August 28, 2014, 10:47:38 AM
Since I have a few parts kicking around for  a up coming CO2 Regulator build, I can do a short presentation of how to assemble your own CO2 regulators & the relevant parts etc

I'd be interested in a quick tutorial on maintenance and signs of potential issues in the future.

charlie

Just to confirm,
Rah, Eric, Mike, Guck ,Lucius - - -\Did I miss anyone?
Sat. my place 1-3

pm

I unfortunately can't come, but would have loved to... been too long since seeing all of you, and I just flooded my 11 gallon iwagumi tank   :)

guck

Quote from: charlie on September 02, 2014, 02:57:07 PM
Just to confirm,
Rah, Eric, Mike, Guck ,Lucius - - -\Did I miss anyone?
Sat. my place 1-3
I am a little confused.  Should I have been PM by now?

charlie

Quote from: guck on September 02, 2014, 07:23:46 PM
I am a little confused.  Should I have been PM by now?
Just waiting to confirm the list & I will PM all concerned at once.
Errol

lucius

Sorry for the delay.  Yes, I'm still in.

charlie

Thanks to those who made it out today, as usual it was a pleasant time spent with fellow hobbyist, where did the time go?
Looking forward to meeting again in Oct. since the word is daworldisblack will be having us over  :)
Regards Errol

exv152

Errol, thanks for hosting this. I enjoyed the company, conversation and your 79g tank, of course.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

missavgp

Had a great time at my first meeting. Thanks for hosting Charlie and I'm looking forward to the next one. :-)
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

lucius

guck

Thanks for hosting us.  I really enjoyed.
Lucius, thanks for the plants.

daworldisblack

Great time indeed! Fingers crossed its me next month but keep a lookout for the date etc. :)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Dxpert

Thanks for hosting us, I had a great time and learned a bunch as per usual.

I'm glad I'll have an opportunity to see the 79 gallon in future.

-Mike

lucius

wolfiewill

Quote from: daworldisblack on September 06, 2014, 09:04:40 PM
Great time indeed! Fingers crossed its me next month but keep a lookout for the date etc. :)

Hey, it's next month already! I'm back and disappointed that I missed all this good stuff! When's the next one?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 04, 2014, 09:48:13 AM
Hey, it's next month already! I'm back and disappointed that I missed all this good stuff! When's the next one?
Well I was here all along & I`m also itching for the Oct. one.
Rah is the man for this month, but if he is not quite ready, perhaps someone else can step up & host Oct., did I hear someone yelling " I will"??
Welcome back Greg.

wolfiewill

Rah, we know you're out there...... reading these posts...... Soooooooo?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

daworldisblack

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 05, 2014, 11:28:31 AM
Rah, we know you're out there...... reading these posts...... Soooooooo?

Lol, I am, Iam.. so I expected to have more work done by this point so that my basement is not a hazardous place plagued with traps and such. If no one is able to host this month, i can say potentially the end of the month I should be good but if anyone else steps up, you can have this month uncontested :)

wolfiewill

Great, thanks for offering to host :). Let's set a date and time! How 'bout Saturday, October 25. Or perhaps the following Saturday?

charlie

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 08, 2014, 11:31:30 AM
Great, thanks for offering to host :). Let's set a date and time! How 'bout Saturday, October 25. Or perhaps the following Saturday?
The 25TH is out for me .
Errol

pm

Any chance of this happening on a Sunday... Typically I have to miss these on Saturdays.

daworldisblack

I'm open either day of the weekend on either week so please continue with availabilities :)

lucius

I'm good for either day also.

wolfiewill

Either day is good for me as well.

charlie

Any day of the 2 weekends , except the 25th.

Holly

Is this still happening this month? I'd like to come this time if I can. Sunday's work best for me but I might be able to make a Saturday with enough notice.

fischkopp

Love to join, but I am not sure I can make it this time. The evenings would work better for me.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

so can the host set a definitive date?

daworldisblack

Ok so going by what everyone is saying - i vote for Nov 2nd, the sunday. Does that work?

exv152

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 19, 2014, 04:49:55 PM
Ok so going by what everyone is saying - i vote for Nov 2nd, the sunday. Does that work?

Works for me.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

lucius

charlie

pm

wolfiewill

I'm in, too. Sundays are fine. Great!

daworldisblack

Awesome! Lets say 2PM? I will be PM'ing everyone with the address soon!

Got Fish?

Will it still be rocking after 4pm Id like to swing by after I close  ;D

silentdan

I'd be interested in joining if it's on the 2nd of November.

daworldisblack

Awesome! Details are as follows:

Nov 2nd @ 2PM - Meadowlands/Fisher Area
Will PM folks with the Address closer to the date

Interested Members:
exv152
Holly
lucius
charlie
pm
wolfiewill
Got Fish?
silentdan

Its a nice sized group! We used to trade plants and any aquarium-related goods so maybe if there is still interest in that, folks can post what they're thinking of bringing for trade or sale. If there is interest, we can bring them. Also, we can do a presentation or a demo - what are people interested in? Suggest topics and we can figure out something!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 23, 2014, 01:16:37 PM
Awesome! Details are as follows:

Nov 2nd @ 2PM - Meadowlands/Fisher Area
Will PM folks with the Address closer to the date

Interested Members:
exv152
Holly
lucius
charlie
pm
wolfiewill
Got Fish?
silentdan

Its a nice sized group! We used to trade plants and any aquarium-related goods so maybe if there is still interest in that, folks can post what they're thinking of bringing for trade or sale. If there is interest, we can bring them. Also, we can do a presentation or a demo - what are people interested in? Suggest topics and we can figure out something!
The folks who are now starting or thinking of planted tanks, this is a perfect opportunity to get first hand info on a one on one basis, of course others who have being in the hobby & would like to meet other like minded hobbyist to share your experience in all aspects of Planted aquarium, come join us.
Regards

daworldisblack

OK PM'ed the list of current attendees - if you are interested and are not on the list, PM me and I'll ping you the details. Again, if there are any topics you'd like for any of us to cover, we can accommodate that - there are enough sages and demi-gods as well as seasoned amateurs amongst this group for us to do whatever.

In the past we've covered:

- Vinyl backing for Aquariums
- co2 reg builds

And some others that are not coming to mind right now under pressure. Maybe some of you can share anything related to your experiences? LED lighting? Maybe a Tank Journal or two with pictures and what you did, where it was when you started, where its at now? Eric's cube come to mind ;) Options are all wide open!

We also have traded plants and dry goods previously so if you would like to bring anything, please post it on here and if anyone is interested, you can bring it with you. 

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 30, 2014, 01:01:47 AM
OK PM'ed the list of current attendees - if you are interested and are not on the list, PM me and I'll ping you the details. Again, if there are any topics you'd like for any of us to cover, we can accommodate that - there are enough sages and demi-gods as well as seasoned amateurs amongst this group for us to do whatever.

In the past we've covered:

- Vinyl backing for Aquariums
- co2 reg builds

And some others that are not coming to mind right now under pressure. Maybe some of you can share anything related to your experiences? LED lighting? Maybe a Tank Journal or two with pictures and what you did, where it was when you started, where its at now? Eric's cube come to mind ;) Options are all wide open!

We also have traded plants and dry goods previously so if you would like to bring anything, please post it on here and if anyone is interested, you can bring it with you. 
How about understanding CO2?

lucius

Don't forget to push you clocks back this weekend otherwise you'll be early.  ;D

Dxpert

Sorry to say but I'll be out of town this weekend. I can't make it.

Have fun!

lucius

I have some java fern plantlets and clumps of needle leaf fern if anyone is interested.

missavgp

Depending on how things go this weekend I might be able to make it. I'm going to try. :)
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

daworldisblack

Quote from: missavgp on October 30, 2014, 08:54:34 PM
Depending on how things go this weekend I might be able to make it. I'm going to try. :)

Hope to see you there! You have my address still? Let me know otherwise!

Personally I'm looking for some Blyxia Japonica if anyone has extra :)

pm

Rah beat me to it!

I too am looking for a few Blyxia Japonica plants, and if anyone has any a starter cutting or two of Alternanthera reineckii 'mini'.

I can bring some emersed HC Cuba.

charlie

unfortunately I don`t have as much blyxa as before, I will however try to muster a plant or 2 .
I can offer some pgostoman Helferi , if interested PM me for details

lucius

I have some blyxa and would be interested in trading for some HC cuba.  I think I have enough for both rah and pm.

lucius

Would also be interested in other types of medium light foreground plants.

Got Fish?

I'll b bringing the 1.2 grow plants I have so you guys can look them over.

charlie

Quote from: Got Fish? on November 01, 2014, 09:36:21 AM
Good news

charlie

anyone have bobitis ??
& can bring it tomorrow

daworldisblack

Quote from: Got Fish? on November 01, 2014, 09:36:21 AM

Awesome! If you still have some spider driftwood pieces, bring some too :)

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on November 01, 2014, 09:53:15 PM
anyone have bobitis ??
& can bring it tomorrow

I may be able to spare some Errol - but i have some BBA issues in that tank so if anyone else is able to provide some, i guess you'll also have a second source.

lucius

I quick dip in an Excel/water bath should nuke the BBA.

daworldisblack

Quote from: lucius on November 02, 2014, 10:46:19 AM
I quick dip in an Excel/water bath should nuke the BBA.

Agreed - works every time!

charlie

Thanks for hosting Rah, good food   :), good company, great time.
Lets do this again before the Xmas season , any takers?
Errol

lucius

Thanks daworldisblack.  :)

If no one minds coming out to Orleans, I can host the next one, Dec 7th?

Holly

I had a great time too, definitely looking forward to the next one. Thanks for hosting!

daworldisblack

Thanks for all who attended! My tanks are all humble to some of yours' but the company was definitely awesome and it was good chatting with everyone! Thanks David @ gotFish? for bringing out some of the Tropica drugs ;)

exv152

Quote from: lucius on November 02, 2014, 08:10:53 PM

Great, Decemeber 7 works for me, and Orleans is nowhere near as far as say Kanata.

Quote from: daworldisblack on November 02, 2014, 09:20:14 PM
Thanks for all who attended! My tanks are all humble to some of yours' but the company was definitely awesome and it was good chatting with everyone! Thanks David @ gotFish? for bringing out some of the Tropica drugs ;)

Thanks for hosting us all, I had a good time, had I not had to pick up my son I would've stuck around a bit more.  See you Sunday. 
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Thanks for hosting. And except for the 'science denyers', it was a great crowd - good conversation and great discussions. Looking forward to the next one. Orleans is fine. If anyone wants a ride and I'm able to go, I'll pick up as I pass through town. Cheers.

Got Fish?

Quote from: daworldisblack on November 02, 2014, 09:20:14 PM

The least I could do right??? I had a great time but think more people should take advantage of this great group. Nice regulator Charlie!!! I would like at least one other salty member there next time to back me up lol. See you guys next time. ;)

aciport

Just out of curiosity, how many people attended?

charlie

Quote from: aciport on November 04, 2014, 12:48:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many people attended?
I think we had around 10 people, the core group is around 12-15.
This was started as a loosely organised gathering for all planted tank hobbyist where we can talk hobby, without our spouses & partners giving you that look, it also serves as a great opportunity to get one on one info as we all have different approaches to the same goal.
The goal is to start having them more frequently with a bit more structure to it , as David said more hobbyist should take advantage of these gatherings.

aciport

Sound great. Let me know when the next one will be. Maybe I can offer some assistance from a distance. ;)

charlie

Quote from: aciport on November 04, 2014, 01:14:58 PM
Sound great. Let me know when the next one will be. Maybe I can offer some assistance from a distance. ;)
Thank you, one is in the works for Dec. will keep you posted.
Errol

charlie

Quote from: lucius on November 02, 2014, 08:10:53 PM

I`m in.
How about a show & tell ? pictures or video.
Errol

daworldisblack

I will be travelling for the next one so can't join unfortunately :( Hope it will be awesome though!