New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

co2 diffuser?

Started by Pyrrolin, November 05, 2014, 01:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyrrolin

Just checked ebay and the largest ceramic co2 diffuser is 25 mm in diameter which is the size I currently have.  Because I have a 90 gallon I have the flow fairly high to get high enough levels and putting it higher makes larger bubbles come out which won't dissolve well.

Are the inline diffusers for $25 on ebay the best bet to go with or is there a better value at a local store?

Thought about just getting a splitter and using 2 diffusers but when you add up the cost for extra tubing and the splitter it just doesn't seem to be worth trying when I can spend a bit more and get an inline diffuser that will use even less co2 and make a tank last longer.

charlie

I think that on larger tanks such as yours, diffusers/ atomizers are not efficient as opposed to effective, they can be effective with more co2 consumption. I would suggest DIY 'ing
a Rex Grigg style reactor, it will probably cost as much as the e bay reactor.
The verges apparently is quite effective too, but i have no hands on experience with it, the cost is more prohibitive though.
Regards

Pyrrolin

I get a 404 error on his website for his design so can only find things for others who have talked about it a bit but no real details.

I decided to toss in a maxi-jet 400 above the diffuser for now to help increase the dissolve rate.  I'll be able to get a feel of how much of a difference this simple method makes tonight.

I wish I had a faster way to check co2 levels besides the slow to change drop checker.

Is there anyone selling 4dkh solution in the Ottawa area?  I am getting a little low on the small supply I got before.

exv152

I have two inline diffusers running on a 125g with good success. A pair of reactors would probably be a better option. But I would have to make a reactor that's 20" long by 3" wide for the output of an eheim 2217 and then tinker with the flow rate, which I can be bothered. The bubbles I get from inline diffusers are tiny and barely visible, so the 7 up effect doesn't bother me. Cerges reactors work well too. I bought the housing for a 12" long water filter, reversed the flow, added a long clear pvc pipe to through the centre, and it works great with the flow of an eheim 2213 which is good for smaller tanks. But not so good with larger filters/flow. You'd probably get better results using a 20" water filter housing. You can also make your own 4ºdkh solution, the formula is online. 
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

here is the general idea, I suggest 2 inch , any PVC will do, does not have to be clear

I once made one with ABS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfhI5CJvIPg
http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/external-inline-co2-reactor/

lucius

I use one of those inline diffusors on my 90 gallon and my bubble count is pretty high, unable to count.  The output of my canister uses the newer Eheim spray bar and I have the three separate four inch extensions aimed in different directions.

Ordering them off ebay with free shipping takes about a month or so.

Pyrrolin

some people use bio balls inside, does that make much difference?

Also, where to put it, input or output line?

My concern with putting it on the input line is air in the canister filter damaging the impeller.

On the output, not quite diffusing enough.

Also, assuming you don't put media in it, is there really any reason to have it clear?  probably be hard to find clear PVC for me.  One advantage I see of clear is it is also a bubble counter if wanted.

My hose on my rena xp3 kinks easily so having the hose go up and down might be a problem.  One possible solution is replacing the hoses with the type that has the threading in the hose to make it stronger.

Jeff1192

I used an in-line diffusers on my 90 gallon and like lucius my bubble count was pretty high and I never saw a single bubble coming out of my spray bar. You definitely want to hook it up to the output line so that it doesn't get all gunked up. Mine had bioballs in it as well.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

exv152

Quote from: Pyrrolin on November 05, 2014, 09:51:22 PM
some people use bio balls inside, does that make much difference?

Also, where to put it, input or output line?

My concern with putting it on the input line is air in the canister filter damaging the impeller.

On the output, not quite diffusing enough.

Also, assuming you don't put media in it, is there really any reason to have it clear?  probably be hard to find clear PVC for me.  One advantage I see of clear is it is also a bubble counter if wanted.

My hose on my rena xp3 kinks easily so having the hose go up and down might be a problem.  One possible solution is replacing the hoses with the type that has the threading in the hose to make it stronger.

There is no indication bioballs, or any objects, in the reactor help diffuse co2 better than the water's own friction on itself. Some say anything inside actually hinders the diffusion of co2 because it allows for pockets of co2 to accumulate, which is the opposite of what you want a reactor to do, which is to achieve 100% co2 diffusion with water. I would put the reactor on the output only because it will get clogged with debris and it won't be easy to have to clean often. If you're using an inline diffuser, it can go on either side - input or output, because they're easier to clean. I've had an inline on the input of an eheim 2213 and it hasn't damaged the filter/impeller at all, in fact the diffusion is considerably better. As for clear PVC, it's not necessary, but it's nice to see into the reactor, and you can tell when it's time to clean the reactor. Most cerges style reactors come with clear housing already, but if you're building your own rex grigg style, you can use a large python vacuum tube, but again, it's just a personal preference. If your hoses are prone to kinking, you can always hard-plumb your reactor with PVC elbows and pipes.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: Jeff1192 on November 06, 2014, 06:42:47 AM
I used an
Quote from: exv152 on November 06, 2014, 08:59:01 AM
There is no indication bioballs, or any objects, in the reactor help diffuse co2 better than the water's own friction on itself. Some say anything inside actually hinders the diffusion of co2 because it allows for pockets of co2 to accumulate, which is the opposite of what you want a reactor to do, which is to achieve 100% co2 diffusion with water. I would put the reactor on the output only because it will get clogged with debris and it won't be easy to have to clean often. If you're using an inline reactor, it can go on either side - input or output, because they're easier to clean. I've had an inline on the input of an eheim 2213 and it hasn't damaged the filter/impeller at all, in fact the diffusion is considerably better. As for clear PVC, it's not necessary, but it's nice to see into the reactor, and you can tell when it's time to clean the reactor. Most cerges style reactors come with clear housing already, but if you're building your own rex grigg style, you can use a large python vacuum tube, but again, it's just a personal preference. If your hoses are prone to kinking, you can always hard-plumb your reactor with PVC elbows and pipes.

I used an in line diffuser on my 90 gallon and like lucius my bubble count was pretty high and I never saw a single bubble coming out of my spray bar. You definitely want to hook it up to the output line so that it doesn't get all gunked up. Mine had bioballs in it as well.

Jeff
Guys just for clarity, although I know exactly what is meant ( because I`m aware of both set ups), it can lead to mis understanding to the uninitiated.
I think Jeff is meaning a inline reactor & exv is meaning an in line diffuser ?

exv152

Quote from: charlie on November 06, 2014, 09:40:49 AMGuys just for clarity, although I know exactly what is meant ( because I`m aware of both set ups), it can lead to mis understanding to the uninitiated.

Good point Errol. In fact, I should've called it an inline atomizer to be specific.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Jeff1192

Quote from: charlie on November 06, 2014, 09:40:49 AM
I used an in line diffuser on my 90 gallon and like lucius my bubble count was pretty high and I never saw a single bubble coming out of my spray bar. You definitely want to hook it up to the output line so that it doesn't get all gunked up. Mine had bioballs in it as well.

Jeff

Guys just for clarity, although I know exactly what is meant ( because I`m aware of both set ups), it can lead to mis understanding to the uninitiated.

Yes thanks Charlie.....I should have said reactor. 
😃
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Pyrrolin

I like the idea of using pvc to help reduce the risk of a kink but wondering if all the elbows would hurt the flow or cause gunk to accumulate faster?  Adding PVC would also make the length of the line longer, would that also reduce flow?

I am using a rena xp3 which is rated for a 175 gallon on a 90 gallon so I have a little room for some slowing of the flow but not much.

my dream tank is a 120 with glass lily pipes, inline heater and in line co2 so nothing disturbs the viewing pleasure.  Well that is my realistic dream tank which is very doable.  My hard to get dream tank is the same but 180 gallon.  My total dream tank is 8 feet long, 2 feet high and 2.5 to 3 feet wide, this will never happen unless I win a lottery.

exv152

Quote from: Pyrrolin on November 07, 2014, 02:14:42 AM
I like the idea of using pvc to help reduce the risk of a kink but wondering if all the elbows would hurt the flow or cause gunk to accumulate faster?  Adding PVC would also make the length of the line longer, would that also reduce flow?

I am using a rena xp3 which is rated for a 175 gallon on a 90 gallon so I have a little room for some slowing of the flow but not much.

my dream tank is a 120 with glass lily pipes, inline heater and in line co2 so nothing disturbs the viewing pleasure.  Well that is my realistic dream tank which is very doable.  My hard to get dream tank is the same but 180 gallon.  My total dream tank is 8 feet long, 2 feet high and 2.5 to 3 feet wide, this will never happen unless I win a lottery.

The traditional rex grigg design only uses one elbow (at the bottom) and the flow enters straight in from the top. It's a good proven design and lots of folks use it with success. There shouldn't be as much gunk build-up on the output side of the filter unless you don't use filter floss in your canister. There's no doubt it will reduce flow, but with a filter that puts out 350gph, you won't have to worry too much about reducing flow.   Also, the commercially available reactors like aquamedic 1000, ista etc., won't work with your filter flow, you'd be limited to making a custom DIY reactor approx 20"long x3"wide, maybe even slightly bigger. That's the part I don't like about DIY reactors, there's a bit of trial and error which is why I went with inline atomizers.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

I think I still have an inline reactor that I made from ABS, if I find it you are welcome to it.
Regards

Pyrrolin

Thank you very much for the offer if you do find it.