New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sharing an experience

Started by charlie, October 09, 2014, 08:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

This is not directed at the person involved , but I`m sharing this as a general educational info.

Earlier today I posted some clippings for free, they were Rotala Indica & Ludwigia red sp.
I got a request from someone " I would love some plants", I replied asking the person to share some info about the tank they intended to put these plants in, I got this in response "Well look at my profile and you will see what tanks I have but it seems a bit of a hassle for free plants ,I will pass"
Folks not because something is free you should just request it , make sure you have the required conditions to keep it, that was the reason I asked what type of light etc .
selecting the right plants for your  provisions will go a long way in you enjoying the hobby for a longer time, as opposed to taking it because it`s free & it dies or become algae infested to your frustration & give up on the hobby.
Regards
Errol

ajm1961

Ouch...
I hope people realize these are free premium cuttings from a man who knows his stuff and is willing to share his knowledge...

Cheers Errol.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

101DalmatianMollies

Very good point Errol! I'm very new to the hobby, just learning about all the requirements for certain species etc. I purchased two lovely Amazon sword clippings off kijiji and I kinda wish he HAD asked me about my tank setup. A few days after I planted them, they've started to look sickly. Turns out I don't have the right bulb wattage and didn't know about fertilizing :(

A quick trip to Big Als sure is helping solve the issue. Got me some fertilizers, and upgraded lighting. They're looking much perkier today.

I don't blame the seller, in fact I hope to buy more off him in the future. I do wish we had gone a bit more in depth about my tank setup, but thankfully I'm pretty astute when it comes to minor changes in a living thing. A good learning experience for sure!

lucius

Should of just given them some broccoli when they showed up.  ;D

charlie

Sometimes we forget how small this community is, it does not take long for ones reputation as a hobbyist is known.
Regards

sas

Quote from: charlie on October 10, 2014, 07:41:33 AM
Sometimes we forget how small this community is, it does not take long for ones reputation as a hobbyist is known.
Regards

So true. This happens in other communities as well.
I raise and sell goats for breeding and show and have been stung as well by certain people. It's frustrating for sure but I find the good outnumber the bad. At least I keep telling myself that ::)

bitterman

Errol... I'm with ya... makes me :(

Makes me think back to the 30 Burundi Frontosa I donated at the CAOAC convention. When the guy that purchased them asked how they would do in a 10 gallon..... You probably remember that. I bet not one of those fish lived :(

Bruce