New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

abnormal cichlid behaviour

Started by sanny, September 23, 2014, 11:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanny

Two of my Cichlids that I bought about a week ago have white stringy poo. They act normal  and I feed all my fish NLS. Is this something I need to worry about? I heard that when Cichlids are new to there surroundings, they get this problem but overtime goes away. Anyone dealt this problem in the past? Much appreciated.

robt18

Usually due to internal parasites or low quality food.... Clearly it's not your food, but maybe the person/store you got them from wasn't using as good of a product.

Over the next couple of weeks, do a few big water changes and stay with the NLS. If that doesn't work, I would treat a half dose of parasite meds, and if that doesn't work, change foods. What kind of cichlids are they?

sanny

One of cichlid is a Venustus, and the other cichlid is a Ice blue ranging between 5-6". I bought them from someone who has been keeping cichlids for many years. I did 50% water change today. I'm planning on not feeding them today and feed them pees the next day as I've read that it cleans out there intestines which will reduce the chances of bloat or any parasites. My filtration on that tank is good. Currently having a fluval 404 and fluval 205 and doing weekly water changes.