New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Who's the culprit?

Started by Caitiepi, December 07, 2015, 05:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitiepi

So I happened to notice while cleaning my tank today that my Kribensis Cichlid has completely disappeared (she was maybe 1.5-2"). I took out all of the possible hiding places and nothing- not even a corpse. I don't think any of my fish have mouths big enough to have eaten her. In my tank I have Red rainbows maybe 3" each, Denison barbs also about 3" each, Bolivian ram about 2", Neon dwarf rainbows- 2 that are an inch and one that is probably 2.5", Boesemani rainbows about 2.5" each, tiny SAEs and Purple passion danios about 1" each. Anyone have any clue on who might have made a meal out of her? I should mention that she was the Ram's only target in the tank so she spent all of her time hiding. Just curious if anybody has any ideas :p
90 gallon community tank:
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

limmer

She could have died and all the fish ate her.
That happens with mine once in a while.
Also look around the outside of the tank on the floor.
She could have jumped while being chased.

Caitiepi

I did search all around the tank on both the floor and the wall behind- no luck. I would agree that she may have died and they may have collectively ate her. Since the Ram started targeting her, I hadn't seen her eat but figured she was picking at whatever was in the gravel at night when I couldn't see. I would go a week or two without seeing her so I haven't actively searched for her until today. Oh well, it's c'est la vie. Thanks for the response!
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

Kelly

I have a pair of Kribs in my 220 and I have 6 adult Bolivian Rams in another tank that I am planning to add to the 220 once I have it planted. Is it odd to have the rams chase the Kribs or are they just enemies. I know they are both from the Cichlid family but they are supposed to be community fish. I've read that Kribs become very protective over fry and I've witnessed it with the rams but not to the point that they will harm another fish.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Caitiepi

I'm not sure if that is normal behaviour or not but to my understanding things may have been different in my tank if they hadn't each been singulars instead of multiples. As there has to be the tank King and a tank target, ergo my poor Krib was the target. My Ram doesn't bother any other fish in my tank, it only targeted the other Cichlid.
In the tanks at Big Al's they have kribs and Rams together and they seem to live in relative harmony. Which is why I thought that it wouldn't be an issue to keep my two together.
Not sure if that's much help ha ha
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

exv152

Cichlids tend to do better with each other when they're raised together as juveniles. Otherwise there always the risk of bullying when there's a new arrival to an established colony. That's my experience with the various cichlids I've kept; discus, angels, kribs, rams etc. The cichlids you see for sale at big al's are mostly juveniles.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

If you want to replace your Krib, I have a whole bunch that need a home and I'll give them to you. As a matter of fact, in my grow out tank where I keep them, I have what looks like a pair forming. These are the largest dominant fish, and their still only half grown.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Caitiepi

Thank you very much for the offer! But for now I'm not looking to replace her.
All 3 of mine were juveniles, but I think after the first Krib died and the Ram was the only Cichlid in the tank, he established a vast territory of the entire bottom of my tank. Mind you, the other fish in the tank don't even seem to exist to him.
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid