New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What fish are you working with?

Started by Jody, November 28, 2015, 12:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hiya all,

If you are anything like me, you have a bunch of tanks with a bunch of fish.
I am just wondering what fish you are really working with at the moment.
I have a couple of fish right now that I have that I am working at breeding once they get to age and size.
Neolamprologus buescheri kamakonde - just starting to pair up, 4 fish, with a pair of Julidochromis regani in a 33 gallon aquarium full of rock work.

Laimosemion xiphidus killifish - purchased at the Montreal auction, recently set up in a 10 gallon, with a couple of spawning mops, moss balls and a handful of java moss, just running a box filter on the tank. Currently lowering the pH with peat infused water. They have been eating everything, but relish baby brine shrimp, and I gave them live white worms for the first time today, and they loved them.

Aphyosemion gardneri - purchased a pair at Big Al's, they were in a 20 gallon mixed tank and bred at least once (unplanned). I had one fry survive to get about 1/2 an inch, but it ended up getting eaten. The original female died, and was recently replaced. They are currently in a 10 gallon tank, with the same care and conditions as the Laimosemion.

Microctenopoma ansorgii - purchased a wild pair at the Montreal auction. They have been moved a couple of times, as they are more aggressive than any of the previous ones I have kept. They ate the tails off a number of fish over the course of a couple of days. Currently, they are in a 20 long, with a pair of young P. suboccellatus. They are good feeders, but really like moving stuff, so they have loved the white worms they were given. I kept a pair in a heavily (very overgrown) planted 15 gallon in 2000, and one day while cleaning, I found a third one, about half the size of the parents.

Cryptoheros nanoluteus - I have been trying to get these fish for a number of years, and stumbled across a young male/female at the Montreal auction. They are probably old enough to breed, but it may take a bit of time for them to really get there. Currently, they are set up in a 20 long, with a few 5 banded barbs for dithers/target fish. Just running a sponge filter on the tank. They are excellent feeders, and take just about everything that goes into the tank. I am considering switching to some danios for dithers, as they will stay near the top of the tank, while the barbs are staying near the bottom, and not being that helpful as dithers.

That's a few of the fish that I have currently. Up to 13 tanks at the moment, with a few more that I am considering setting up. I have another type of killifish coming into the store next week, which I may have to try as well, plus may set up another 20 long for a pair of wild type orange chromides.

Too many fish, too few tanks.

What are you keeping?

Jody

Jody

Just an update.
I went into the fish room last night and the Aphyosemion gardneri were in the process of breeding.
They had a few eggs just scattered on the tank, but ate them. Hopefully, the behaviour will continue and I can collect a bunch.
I have a tank that should have a good amount of infusoria to get them started right.

Jody

Kelly

One pair of my Bolivian Rams had babies about 3 weeks ago and I stole about half to raise, around 100. Today while doing a water change I found another pair hovering over a nest of fry, I stole a couple a little early, they still had their egg sacks. Had to run away on business today so I'll check on them Wednesday when I return. The remainder of the batch from the first pair got eaten by other fish so if this new batch is swimming when I get back i'll try to save as many as I can.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Jody

Hi Kelly,
That is great.  I am a big fan of the bolivian rams.
What conditions are you keeping them in? Have you done anything special to get them into the breeding mood?

Jody

Jellyanne

Hi haven't much going for now. My carbon rili shrimp are happy and berried! So far about a dozen shrimplet made it, which is excellent considering all the mamas are first time mamas and the shrimps a living with fishes at the moment.

My Norman's lampeye female started laying eggs, but she somehow got trapped yesterday and by the time I found her she was injured and probably too stressed... so she passed away this morning :'(.

I found out I love nerite snails and plan on eventually setting up a brackish tank to raise some.

Nothing else so far.
Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

Kelly

Quote from: Jody on November 30, 2015, 10:10:04 PM
Hi Kelly,
That is great.  I am a big fan of the bolivian rams.
What conditions are you keeping them in? Have you done anything special to get them into the breeding mood?

Jody
Hi Jody,

The only thing I changed was raising the temp 1.5 degrees to 78F and feed frozen foods 3 nights a week. This is the first time I had 2 pairs having babies near the same time so now I'm sure at least 2 of my 6 Rams are female, they're hard to tell apart but I think I have an even 3/3 with 2 four month olds that I can't even begin to tell. On my way home from Toronto on the train right now, hope the fry are still in the nest when I get there. My wife said the ones I got from the first batch are doing well, I put them in an eight gallon with 3 Pigmy Corys to pick up the left overs.

Kelly

Well the second batch of fry didn't last till i got home, at least I managed to save a few, 5 or so  before I left and they seem to have joined right in with the previous batch and are doing well.

Kelly

when i got home from work today there was another batch of eggs on the flat rock being vigorously protected by a pair of rams, the 3rd batch in one month, is it possible for a female to lay eggs twice in a month? If not then I have 3 pairs or at least 3 females. Amazing, i'll have to start up my 10 Gallon to house all the fry, I currently have 100 to 150 in an 8 gallon.

Jody

Wow, that is excellent!
Yes,  cichlids often breed multiple times a month, normally if the previous batch is removed or eaten.
Certainly sounds like time to start up a new grow out tank or five.

Jody

Kelly

Thanks for that Jody, probably what happened since I removed at least half of the first batch and a small portion of the second batch and the rest were served up to the Tiger Barb and Rainbowfish buffet. It looks like about 30% of the eggs in this batch weren't fertilized, they are white and not the usual grey color.   

Jody

Well unfortunately, I went down to the fishroom last night, and found my male ansorgii on the floor, so now the hunt begins for another few.

I have also started feeding a bunch of the fish live black worms, which they gorge themselves on.

Jody

bitterman