New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Test kits

Started by missavgp, April 11, 2015, 12:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missavgp

I wanted to ask what water testing kits people find the most reliable. I am having an issue where the API pH test is reading 7.6 and the Hagen Nutrafin pH test is reading 7.0. I am actually working on bringing the pH in this tank down (betta macrostoma prefer soft low pH water) but I need an accurate reading to work with. What have other people found?
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

fischkopp

It's always difficult to judge the colors on these chemical test kits. This really affects accuracy and adds a subjective error to the results. But they are ok for a general trend +/-0.5, and produce pretty much all the same results.

For reliable results its better to use an electronic probe. Spectrographic measurements should be pretty accurate too, but I can't comment on these since I have never used them.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Philnashbass

I've always found these type of kits to be reliable. Variables like expiration date, settled product/unshaken bottles, hand oils, cross contamination of water sample with tap water etc. should be considered (I'm sure you are already aware of this).
When I'm in doubt, I dump, rinse with tap water, rise with tank water and retest.
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

mm

I find this type of digital ph meter cheap and reliable over a wide range of ph values (once calibrated):

http://www.amazon.ca/HDE-Digital-Aquarium-Hydroponic-Monitor/dp/B00IEJOI9S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428782055&sr=8-2&keywords=ph+meter

They are easy to calibrate too. I use them to monitor the pH in my blackwater tanks with pH around 5-6, my "Ottawa water " tanks with a pH around neutral, and my Tanganyikan tanks at around 8.0.  No liquid test that I know covers this wide range with this precision. This is not a high-end electronic probe but it does the job really well and it is dirt cheap.

The shipping takes a few weeks but I can lend you one for a while if you need.