New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Canister filter recommendations

Started by drboeing, April 12, 2015, 06:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drboeing

I am looking for a canister filter for my 125 gallon.
I have always used Eheim in the past, but they are really pricy now.
What are the opinions of Marineland products and other canister filters, i.e Rena etc

Al

I'm not directly answering your question and have to admit I am an eheim disciple, but when you calculate the extra 50-60-75 dollar cost spread out over 15-20 years of excellent service that an eheim will give you, like a classic, versus anything out there, its an excellent investment that just can't be beat 
For example, yes a fluval FX-6 is cheaper than a 2262 but it isn't close to the quality of  the 2262  eheim pump, canister materials, plumbing, etc is a step ahead . Try and find a used 2262 versus any of the other brands large canisters.

Got Fish?

exv152

I've been running a high tech planted 125g for the past 4 years and I use two eheim 2217's on it. You can get them for $140 in the US, here in Canada they range from $200-$230. I tried fluval and eheim, and find eheim much more reliable long term.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

zolta

I have a Marienland C360 on my large aquarium.  It works well but developed a leak a month ago.  Although Marineland has told me they are sending me a new powerhead for the unit (the bit that is leaking) it is taking a long time to get service from them.  So although when functioning it works, it is problematic especially when they are issues.  I also have a smaller ehiem on my 30 gal tank.  It is slightly less than a year old but working very well.  The can be had in Canada from mail order places at very competitive prices.
65 gal tall planted

drboeing

I went with the Eheim.
I went online at Big Als Canada, they were asking $329 for a Pro3 2075. So just by chance, I went on Big Als USA, the same filter was on special for $219. So I signed up on their site, in doing so, they gave me another 15% off, so it came to under $190 USD. I have an address in Ogdensburg that I use so I am having it shipped there. The shipping is free. Since I live 20 minutes to the border, it makes sense to do it this way. With the exchange and the bridge costs, I still save over 100 bucks compared to buying it here