New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

lighting a 220 freshwater planted tank

Started by Kelly, October 01, 2015, 08:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly

I am setting up a 220 gallon planted tank with fish. I bought the tank used, it was a salt water setup before. I washed and scrubbed the tank numerous times with straight water and cut out and re-caulked the silicone. I ran a 24 hour leak test a couple of weeks ago and all is good. I will use Seachem Fluorite sand as substrate for my plants. I have a good CO2 system with a PH monitor, no problem there.

My question is: I am looking for a good reasonable lighting for my tank. I plan on running it with only 25 inches of water instead of the 30 it can hold because of concern for light penetration. I have been looking at all kinds of light sources and metal halide seems like it would be an issue with heat, florescent will cost in bulbs in the long run and LED is just way to expensive right now. So, I'm considering using 4 staggered 48 inch T5 HO florescent's, 6400 K, 5022 Kelvins. Would that be enough?   
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

exv152

I have a 125g I used to run with 10 T5HO bulbs (36" lengths), 5 bulbs per side, and found I was only getting medium light at best, based on the plant growth. The 125 is 22" tall, and I found light penetration, even with T5HO, a challenge. I gave up on the idea of going T5HO as the industry is moving away from fluorescents and going towards high powered LEDs exclusively. Some manufacturers of the old T5HO lights have even discontinued making T5 fixtures (especially the longer 72" fixtures). I ended up biting the bullet and going with LEDs. The upfront cost is considerable, but not when you compare it to the cost of electricity use and bulb replacement, even in the first year of use alone, and LEDs will last you somewhere in the range of ~ 10 years depending on how cool you run the fixture.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

lucius

Quote from: Kelly on October 01, 2015, 08:54:17 PMI plan on running it with only 25 inches of water instead of the 30 it can hold because of concern for light penetration.

If you're worried about the height you can put in about 5 inches of substrate.  This will bring you down to 25" right away.

wolfiewill

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Kelly

Were you using CO2 also? I find LED's super expensive, $900 to $2000 for my tank from what I have priced. I was thinking of buying six 48" HO T5 lights and staggering them along with my CO2. Listening to Dustin on youtube, he seems to think that would be overkill.

Kelly

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 02, 2015, 07:28:52 PM
What plants are you going to grow?

Blyxia Japonica,  Dwarf Hairgrass, Dwarf Baby Tears for ground cover. Some Pellia Monosolenium Tenerum, Java Ferns around rocks and driftwood, a few Swords as well as some Ambulia. All seem to be not too demanding as far as lighting is concerned. 

exv152

Quote from: Kelly on October 03, 2015, 03:43:52 PM
Were you using CO2 also? I find LED's super expensive, $900 to $2000 for my tank from what I have priced. I was thinking of buying six 48" HO T5 lights and staggering them along with my CO2. Listening to Dustin on youtube, he seems to think that would be overkill.

Definitely using co2, and good co2 diffusion is also a challenge for larger tanks. T5HOs are definitely still a good option, one of the best in terms of intensity.  If you're doing 6 that might put you in the high light range especially if you're using good reflectors & ballasts. But I if you suspend the fixture you can control the intensity based on plant growth, algae etc. Or start with 4 bulbs. What brand fixtures are you planning?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Kelly

Quote from: exv152 on October 03, 2015, 09:25:21 PM
Definitely using co2, and good co2 diffusion is also a challenge for larger tanks. T5HOs are definitely still a good option, one of the best in terms of intensity.  If you're doing 6 that might put you in the high light range especially if you're using good reflectors & ballasts. But I if you suspend the fixture you can control the intensity based on plant growth, algae etc. Or start with 4 bulbs. What brand fixtures are you planning?

Sunblaster horticulture HO T5's

exv152

The sunblaster t5ho is not bad, but it does use unpowered ballasts compared to the fan cooled ballasts you get with the expensive high end t5ho fixtures. That's what I had on my 125g and I was using their reflectors too. See the link below, someone did PAR readings at a few inches away from the bulbs and got 239 micromoles, with a high end t5ho fixture the PAR will be double that. Which is why a lot of folks will tell you it's too much light, if they're not familiar with sunblaster. The good thing is you can add more if you don't have enough, and for most of the plants you're planning you may be ok.

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/planted-tank-specific-13/why-did-you-buy-light-fixture-3256/index3.html#/forumsite/20638/topics/3256?page=3
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

You'll need a lot more than 4 (48") Sunblasters for some of those plants. I have experience with a 75 gallon tank with four Sunblasters. Blyxa and Java fern grow well, but carpet plants like the dwarf hair grass probably needs more light. This 75 gallon tank is only 21" deep.

Could you describe your CO2 system? And what kind of filtration / power heads do you have for circulation?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Kelly

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 04, 2015, 10:29:38 AM
You'll need a lot more than 4 (48") Sunblasters for some of those plants. I have experience with a 75 gallon tank with four Sunblasters. Blyxa and Java fern grow well, but carpet plants like the dwarf hair grass probably needs more light. This 75 gallon tank is only 21" deep.

Could you describe your CO2 system? And what kind of filtration / power heads do you have for circulation?

I have a carbon doser system from aquarium plants with an external reactor and pinpoint PH monitor. I plan on running my Fluval 306 strictly Bio and run it through the reactor. For mechanical and chemical filtration i'm going with my Fluval FX6. Right now I have 1 Fluval C4 for circulation and I may add another once the tank is set up and running.

wolfiewill

Kelly

wolfiewill

They are terrific. I've had two of them for years, and only recently have I had any problems with them (solenoid failed). The only issue I have is that the maximum pressure possible isn't enough for inline diffusers. But otherwise I really like them.

Kelly

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 04, 2015, 09:05:32 PM
They are terrific. I've had two of them for years, and only recently have I had any problems with them (solenoid failed). The only issue I have is that the maximum pressure possible isn't enough for inline diffusers. But otherwise I really like them.

That's good to hear, I'm new to the planted tank hobby, I've had tanks for a while but never tried a planted one, I have a couple of Java ferns in my 55 but no real jungle. I'm excited to get it up and running but still need lighting. I've been researching and gathering items since February and I would like to have it up and running before Christmas but I won't rush it if I don't think I'm ready. Any info on a good place to buy plants?

BTW, thanks for all the info, greatly appreciated.

wolfiewill

I have a 300 gallon tank that's been up and running for nearly a year now, and I've worked my tail off getting the CO2 in balance with the plants and lighting that I have. The first issue I had was I didn't have enough diffusers. I got by with 3 inline for a while but the CO2 misting was unattractive. I upgraded my CO2 kit, added a fourth inline diffuser, and added a large reactor (22" by 4" in diameter). The reactor is fed with only two of the diffusers, and it really works well - no misting on that side. The other two diffusers are on another filtration system and there is still some misting but it's much better than before (I have two complete and separate filtration systems on the tank).  I plan to add another reactor at some point this fall. I run them all off of a Pinpoint pH monitor as you do.

Beyond that, the main problem is with flow. I had too much kinking in my filter lines and had only one polishing filter (I have two now). The flow was just too low. I've straightened the lines and reduces a many 90 degree turns as possible and placed the polishing filters in parallel to the large biological filters (Eheim 1500XLs). That also increased the flow. I have added lily pipes instead of the spray bars that came with the filters and they also help to lessen the resistance as well.

I've over done the lighting, but it's easier to raise or dim them than to have to replace them.

wolfiewill

Yes, I know a great place to get plants.... from me. I don't charge much either. And if you can visit to pick up plants, you can see my set up.

Kelly

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 04, 2015, 09:22:01 PM
I have a 300 gallon tank that's been up and running for nearly a year now, and I've worked my tail off getting the CO2 in balance with the plants and lighting that I have. The first issue I had was I didn't have enough diffusers. I got by with 3 inline for a while but the CO2 misting was unattractive. I upgraded my CO2 kit, added a fourth inline diffuser, and added a large reactor (22" by 4" in diameter). The reactor is fed with only two of the diffusers, and it really works well - no misting on that side. The other two diffusers are on another filtration system and there is still some misting but it's much better than before (I have two complete and separate filtration systems on the tank).  I plan to add another reactor at some point this fall. I run them all off of a Pinpoint pH monitor as you do.

Beyond that, the main problem is with flow. I had too much kinking in my filter lines and had only one polishing filter (I have two now). The flow was just too low. I've straightened the lines and reduces a many 90 degree turns as possible and placed the polishing filters in parallel to the large biological filters (Eheim 1500XLs). That also increased the flow. I have added lily pipes instead of the spray bars that came with the filters and they also help to lessen the resistance as well.

I've over done the lighting, but it's easier to raise or dim them than to have to replace them.

Sounds like a real nice set-up, I under estimated the cost of going planted but I'm really looking forward to it and I know the expense will be worth it.

Kelly

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 04, 2015, 09:23:27 PM
Yes, I know a great place to get plants.... from me. I don't charge much either. And if you can visit to pick up plants, you can see my set up.

Fantastic, you can guide me when the time comes so I don't buy plants from you that my system can't support. I'll keep in touch on this forum and let you know when I'm ready to buy some plants. I think I'm going to go with the T5-HO for now and update to LED in the next year or two.

wolfiewill

We are probably going to have a Plantaholics meeting here in November. You are welcome to join us.