New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cleaning White Worms

Started by wolfiewill, December 02, 2015, 05:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

I have purchased a batch of white worms from Big Al's and I was wondering how people clean the dirt off them before putting them in the tank? And, if I need to add more of the dirt, is it just potting soil?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

daworldisblack

Just potting soil. I usually don't really clean the dirt off but I don't have that much on them to begin with. I make an empty spot in the middle of the container (just bare container bottom at this spot, no soil) where I put the food and all the worms hang out there. I just pick 'em up with my pincettes while they're there feeding. Whatever little dirt they have on them, comes of as they wiggle in the water before the fish get to them.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Kelly

I saw those at Big Al's east in the back where they bag the fish, it didn't look like you get very many in the tub. Do you know how many do you get per tub on average. I thought it might be something I might buy my fish in the future.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Jody

Hi Kelly,

There are quite a few in the tubs. They tend to move down in the containers unless there is food on top.
A great thing to do is split the colony in half and use one to create a breeder colony, and use the other to feed in the meantime.

Jody

wolfiewill

Quote from: Kelly on December 03, 2015, 09:55:18 PM
... it didn't look like you get very many in the tub. Do you know how many do you get per tub on average...

I'm getting about 4 feedings per week, and I have a lot of fish. So, I'm quite pleased with the number of them.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain