New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Why is it so hard to buy lights in Canada that are not 200$ more then the US

Started by Ruber, August 10, 2016, 06:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruber

Seriously,  I have a 26G and Need to replace my single T8 bulb to a new setup,   Tring to find either LED's or Dual T5 is a real pain in the behind,  Amazon.com has so many for cheap and when you go to .com its sooooooo expensive its unreal!

101DalmatianMollies

If you are close to the border, and are able to go across once a year, myusaddress.com is where you can get lights delivered to and they'll hang onto the lights for a year. You may have to pay duty on it when you go across the border, but it's not overly expensive. :)

Ruber

Nice to know,  Didn't know about this before now,  I will look into this for sure, because I can buy Finnex in the US but not here in Canada,  So kinda sucks really

hbrad

Would something like this work for you. I am currently using one i bought for my aqaurium after my old lightset bit the dust. It takes 2 t8 bulbs and is 48" long.  http://www.rona.ca/en/48-in-fluorescent-fixture

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: Ruber on August 10, 2016, 10:01:39 PM
Nice to know,  Didn't know about this before now,  I will look into this for sure, because I can buy Finnex in the US but not here in Canada,  So kinda sucks really

Yeah my sister's husband uses my us address for stuff he can't get shipped to Canada. I've picked stuff up for him before, and there is a $5 cost per package to release the item, and then a small toll fee to get across the border (at least at Prescott there is) and then I paid for the Duty on the item (For a 300+ item it was $30) so in total I think I spent $50 to get the item back across the border (which he paid me back for lol). Was quick and easy, and the funnier thing was the US border guy was nicer than the Canadian guy....

lucius

Ebay has some cheap led lights.  Not sure what the dimensions of a 29 gallon is but you should be able find something that fits.

Caitiepi

If you go the eBay way, make sure your shipping isn't $3,000 lol Bid on a $26 canopy for a gazebo only to find out they wanted an additional $3,000 to ship it from Cali to here. 😑 I could fly to Cali and back for less than that.
90 gallon community tank:
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

limmer

You also have to check out the warranty.
If you have any problems you may have to ship it back.
Nice thing about our local shops is they usually take care of it right away. (plus if keeps our local shops from disappearing).

Kelly

I have a BML (Build My LED) on my 220 gallon, 30 inches deep and I can grow most plants. I also run CO2 a few hours per week but the light is fantastic but expensive. Mine is a 72 inch long and it was $430 US. The company is in Austin Texas, there site is www.buildmyled.com
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

exv152

Quote from: Kelly on August 12, 2016, 07:56:36 PM
I have a BML (Build My LED) on my 220 gallon, 30 inches deep and I can grow most plants. I also run CO2 a few hours per week but the light is fantastic but expensive. Mine is a 72 inch long and it was $430 US. The company is in Austin Texas, there site is www.buildmyled.com

I have two 72'' fixtures and love them. Sadly BML pulled out of the aquarium LED industry back in Feb and are focusing only on "horticultural" LEDs.
:(
http://www.buildmyled.com/aquarium/
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Kelly

I just checked the site, I was planning on buying another one later this year. Really sad news, great lights. I'm even able to grow baby tears in 30" deep tank. I think you were the one who introduced me to BML when I was searching for a good light, thanks.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

exv152

Quote from: Kelly on August 14, 2016, 08:50:03 AM
I just checked the site, I was planning on buying another one later this year. Really sad news, great lights. I'm even able to grow baby tears in 30" deep tank. I think you were the one who introduced me to BML when I was searching for a good light, thanks.

Yes I think I was, and they're arguably the best lights I've ever owned for planted tanks. I know a couple of other OVAS members that also have them and love them. I think the aquarium industry doesn't generate as much revenue as medicinal cannabis does, hence the company's refocusing. That and the fact that BML were only waiting for their license to enter the horticultural lighting industry, so aquarium lights were just something to do in the mean time. 
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Ruber

What I need is something that is 30" long, so limited to 24" T5's ot T8's or go with LEDs,  I see marineland at Big als but no info on spectrum to see if it can actually grow plants. :(

charlie

Quote from: Ruber on August 17, 2016, 05:24:35 AM
What I need is something that is 30" long, so limited to 24" T5's ot T8's or go with LEDs,  I see marineland at Big als but no info on spectrum to see if it can actually grow plants. :(
Hi Ruber, welcome back to the hobby.
If it`s a standard 30 gallon (30" x 12" x 18"), after you substrate bed you will probably end up with a height of 14-16 inches.
Unless you are doing a demanding carpeting plant the current USA Sat + should suffice.
If you doing demanding carpets, then i suggest you go with the USA sat +Pro for local purchases
http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Satellite-Comparison-V3.pdf
Another option to consider, i`m personally using these lights on a 15 gallon tank, and I`m happy with it.(it`s dimmable & you would need the extended legs for a 30 inch tank))
https://aquasensew.com/shop/lighting/chihirosa-series-led-light-a601/
Hope that helps.
They are several options , but based on your post, i`m guessing you have a smaller budget for lighting.
Hope that helps.

Regards

Ruber

So this one would be really good?  CURRENT USA SATELLITE PLUS PRO LED FIXTURE (24-36 INCH)    And the + instead of Pro would also do the job but has less lights and no control timer from what I can see.

the pro would cost me 234$ shipped and taxed
The plus would cost me 148$ shipped and Taxed

Does the pro justify almost 100$ more?

Ruber

Well I talked it over with my Boss ( Wife )   and seems tomorrow i'll go to big als and buy a Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus PRO Lighting System, I hope they have it in stock.     :)