New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Feeding Cichlids and Synodontis

Started by Stevie, April 26, 2004, 09:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie

Had a small question.  I bought all the cichlids that another member was selling and they are all healthy, gorgeous fish!  The group consisted of: Cynotilapia Mbamba, metriaclima zebra, electric blue hap, electric yellow labs, and a nimbochromis venustus. Being new to cichlids, I took his recommendation and am feeding them spirulina flakes but I am wondering what to feed the two Synodontis Multifactus that are in the tank as well.  The cichlids are large and grab everything before it even breaks the surface.  What can I feed the synodontis and how do I make sure it hits the bottom before everyone else grabs it?

saltydog

Wardley spirulina discs &  Wardley shrimp pellets sink fast. You might also try frozen peas (?) Other suggestions, anyone?
-thankful for a tankfull-

artw

well when I had synodontis I ended up with the same problem.
If shannon is reading this she is the one who has my synodontus now so she might have some better advice.  what I would do is feed the cichlids first, then turn the lights off and then 5 or 10 mins later come back and put some sinking pellets or shrimp wafers or something on the gravel and the catfish will come and eat it
but it's always a battle because the cichlids nevertheless smell the pellets and try to eat them as well
alternately you can just throw in the sinking food with the floating cichlid food at the same time.  and maybe the cichlids will be preoccupied with the flakes etc the catfish will beable to move some of the sinking food into a cave.
The odd time the synodontuses would come right up to the water surface and eat the flakes too with the cichlids and that was neat to watch.

I never feed my big pleco in the 110.  I don't know how he survives in there.

saltydog

I also have a large pleco in a 110 who NEVER gets ANY fish food. There is no visible algae. Maybe he survives by gnawing on driftwood.
-thankful for a tankfull-

ambushman2j

I have several synodontis cats, all I do is feed large amounts very fast like drop in a big pinch of flakes, they drop through the water so fast the cats get their pick and everything is eaten within 2-3 minutes

Shannon

Well, Art, I'm not really sure what those catfish are eating.I try hard to feed everyone what they like, but those cichlids seem to eat everything!!!!  I do feed flakes or that frozen cubes every day twice. Then I feed the Plecos alge pellets or I give them frozen peas with the skin off or skinless strips of zuchini (which is cool to watch them eat.  They love zucinni.  The cat fish well I hope they get something. They seem and look healthy to me.  I do try to hide those alge pellets  from the cichlids or they will eat them and look very very FAT.  Art are those catfish male or female or one of each?

Stevie

Male or Female:I don't know.  How do you tell the difference?

artw

Shannon the 2 catfish I gave you are quite round in the belly so they could both be female.  If I were you I'd try to research on the internet and find out if its possible to sex them.

Stevie

lcoates

I have 4 catfish and 3 plecos (120g), my catfish are healthy and growing. I feed the flakes and frozen cubes, it seems to work well. Jodie told me about the zuchinni, what I do is attach it to my driftwood,with the skin on,it doesn't last long in the tank. I have been doing this for months now, I am now seeing the cichilds eat the zuchinni as well,my fish seem to have a nice deep colours, I am assuming that maybe it's the zuchinni. The last time I was at Big Al's I bought frozen cubes that are Brine Shrimp that is Spirulina enriched, for some reason I had not noticed this particular type before, it's great for my fry.

ambushman2j

I will have to try zucchini, is it pricey?..I don't like paying for food lol

CarlClassen

I put my leftover chicken in the tank and the fish went nuts for it. I of course fished out the bone after wards. Is that a no no or is that perfectly fine for fish :)

lcoates

Drew:
No it's not , I think I pay a buck for 4 small zuchinni. I does take them a few times before they realize how good it is, just be patient with it.

ambushman2j

comparable to if you were just buying food from the store, how long the can would last v. the zuchinni the canned fish foods would be lots cheaper, but giving it a try wouldn't hurt I suppose, if it really does highly improve the colouration I might want to do it

lcoates

I am not sure how much the canned food is, but I give them one zuchinni per week, so four last me almost a month. I am not sure if it is the zuchinni, or the flakes that Jodie recommended, but I have had others comment how my fish have great coloring. Maybe it's the Orleans water, which I can sell for a small fee!!! He He!

ambushman2j

what all do you have in your tanks now lynn?  it's been awhile since I have asked and you seem to have been very busy! lol

lcoates

Well your right I have been very busy, well I have
4 Frontosa, I just p/u a 7 inch new male from a very nice gentleman, with an awesome set up....every high tech gadget on the market, it was very interesting, we picked up some pointers.
Your 5 chilumba, plus 5 fry and I have another female holding.
4 brichardi, 2 estherae, 3 PS Msobo, 1 demasoni, 5 afra white tops,1 azureus, 1 maisoni ( 8 fry) , 2 yellow labs, 2 cobue, 4 synodontis and 3 plecos.
The fry are in a another tank. Yes, I am getting quite full, but everyone is good. I may sell my msobo and estherae. The tank looks great!
Have your Frontosa bred yet? This new guy is definitely a male, mine that is 5 inches has a hump, but not as big, I need to get more info on how to sex them.

Nelson

Hi Lynn, regarding your post on the Front's appetite, you should know that the big guy was never a big eater.  He was very reclusive and it seemed like a huge effort on his part to leave his safe environment to inhale food.  I would often leave large pellets floating in the tank overnight and they would always be gone in the am.  I also fed him krill.  Can you tell me something about your  msobo's and estherae's?  If you decide to sell them I may be interested in adding some color to my tank; I understand they can be quite colorful.

ambushman2j

how big are the chilumba now?  and what is the m/f combination you got?  I really liked the look of those fish, but wow were they aggressive in my tank!..how are they doing in yours?..no, my fronts are not breeding I think I have 2 males anyways..but when I get my 108 installed in my basement I am going to try and get some of my contacts to get me some females

lcoates

My chilumba are about 3 inches, and no they are not aggresive in my tank, they are  really cool to watch. I thought I had 4 f,1m, but it looks like two m, and 3 females. So far it's the same female that's holding again.