New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need help Changed from T12 lamps up to T8

Started by nemo14, June 15, 2018, 08:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nemo14

Hello fish keepers !

I have a question on lighting my brother gave me an nice 90 gallon aquarium for free but its an older tank but in good shape. Now my question is the tank came with a light strip using T12 bulbs and i read that you can change the lamps for a T8 lamp so i bought two new T8's put them in and it try to light it up but never did is this because the ballast  is not strong enough they are 40 w T8 lamps each. The ballast type is pro standard GI-22540-TP for 2  F40T12 lamps 40w ,30w  or 25w R.S lamps rapid start. Input current 12v - 60 Hz 0.76 amps. if i can't run the T8 lamps with this ballast can i change the ballast for one that will run the T8 lamps? And if i need to change the ballast what kind do i need to run the T8 lamps?

Thanks in advance everyone.

lucius

I use this bulb from Lowes but I use it for terrestrial plants and not over an aquarium.  I seem to recall not being able to get a T8 to work either.

https://www.lowes.ca/light-bulbs/ge-40-watt-medium-bi-pin-base-t12-48-in-fluorescent-tube-plant-and-aquarium-light-bulb_g2462965.html?searchTerm=fluorescent-bulb

nemo14

Hello Lucius !

Thanks for the reply. The T-12 lamps that came with the light strip work fine it's  just when i put the T-8 it try to light but cant. This was fine when my brother had the tank running but he only had plastic plants and i have live plants ( all low lighting plants)  that's why i would like to run the T-8 if i can. Still looking to change the ballast but i need a ballast strong enough to run both 40w lamps.

tanksalot360

Any interest in running t8 led ballast bypass (self driven/build in drivers) bulbs? Essentially you cut out the ballast and run the power thru the switch and directly to the end caps. The "ballast"/ driver is fit into the bulb. I took an older 3 bulb t8 fixture and ripped out the ballast and replaced the bulbs.
If the end caps don't receive a smaller t8 bulb pins, those may need replacing.

lucius

I don't think the T8 bulbs are rated at 40 watts.  Looking at the two I have, they are only 32 watts.  Both Home Depot and Lowes carry replacement T8 ballasts.

https://www.lowes.ca/ballasts/sylvania-2-bulb-residentialcommercial-electronic-fluorescent-light-ballast_g1191498.html

Having gone through the same thought process myself, may I suggest you jump right to the T5HO bulbs or LED.  When I first got my 90 gallon, I thought T8's were sufficient as I was only keeping low light plants as well and then eventually I wanted to try different plants. The 90 gallon is a deep tank so I wanted to try stem plants but my plants were all leggy due to insufficient lighting.  Low light plants can also be slow growers so having higher lighting will help as well.

nemo14

The two T-8 lamps that i have are the Aqua-Glo 40 watt made for fast plant growth i bought them from Big Als . I will check home depot for the ballast thanks for the info. I agree led would be the best way to go as they are cheap to run but i already spent 60 bucks for the lamps and they are hard to sell even when they are new because everyone run's led or T-5 now.

nemo14

Well i went to Canadian tire and bought a new T-8 ballast one for two lamps. Hooked it up and presto light working well.

Thanks everyone for your help and input.