New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

First Reef Tank (upgraded to 75 gallon)

Started by Eackone, March 19, 2018, 02:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eackone

I know there are a few conversations started by people dwelling into the saltwater hobby, however I didn't want to hijack their threads.

I currently have 2 empty tanks, a10 gallon with an aquaclear 20 and an aqueon evolve 8 cube with internal filter.
I've been reading up on saltwater fishkeeping for over a year anticipating my first FOWLR nano tank in April once I graduate.
After visiting aquavalley this weekend, I wouldnt be suprised if I end up with  a few softies not too long later....haha

I've been going back and forth between which of the 2 tanks I'll use. I obviously lean for the 10 gallon as the extra 2-3 gallons might give me a bit more leeway, however I like the idea of using part of the internal filter of the evolve as a refugium.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?
I'm already planning on getting a hydor koralia 240 or 425 along with my live rock in the coming week, so I don't think flow would be a big concern.

Thanks in advance!

tanksalot360

So many options....
I think one of the biggest issues with nano marine tanks is evaporation and the effects it can have on salinity. I'd go with the 10 unless the cube is really slick looking. You could always put a false back in the ten gallon with acrylic or glass to make it work like the evolve.
Some people will modify the larger aquaclear filters as refugiums, I would avoid air powered refugiums/breeder boxes because the bubbles stick around in saltwater, but could be modified with small fountain pump!
I would go with the smaller of the 2 powerheads, because of the size and your desire for softies. And I'd hide it or attempt to, equipment can take away from the visual appeal in small tanks.
You can avoid a protein skimmer if you keep up with larger waterchanges, and purigen is a good long term good media, also polyfilter is highly recommended.
For perspective in a nano, go with fine sand and add some rock rubble to help with the scaping at that scale.
All for now, keep us updated!

Eackone

Great advice thanks! Didnt mention it but the 10gal has a better canopy too so it will also further help with evaporation.
Never heard of the aquaclear-refugium setup, I'll have to look into that.
I was planning on running purigen so its great to hear, I run it in some of my FW tanks and have been liking it so far.
I'll run it with polyfilter in the AC20 for now. As I stock the tank I can always upgrade to a bigger AC if I want to go the refugium route.

Looking forward to get the setup going in the upcoming week!

Eackone

Lil' update.
My 10 gallon nano turned into to a 75 over the weekend... oops!
Got 80lbs of aragonite sand and 20lbs of dry rock as well.

I have 40lbs of old rock (not so live anymore) from a friend who got out of the hobby a few months ago (making 60 lbs total).

Considering the 40lbs have basically turnt to dry rock, do i need to worry about pest and whatnot?
Looking forward to getting everything scaped over the week!

tanksalot360

Big upgrade! If you're going to learn to swim, why not jump in the deep end ;D Did you scape? Can we see? ...I know with so much rock there might be endless tinkering and rearrangement.
If the old rock was from a previous salt tank and dried without any preparation - you can count on some ammonia/ cycling as the dead organisms inside the rock contact water again, but it would help start the cycle, but other sunk nutrients could also be released. If you haven't scaped yet, I would soak the previously-used rock in a tub of saltwater to drive out that ammonia and phosphate, nitrate etc. that might be embedded in the rock = "cooking live rock". You shouldn't have to worry about hitchhikers, but you may want to add a couple pounds of higher quality live rock, or use prodibio biodigest to seed the system with bacteria.

Eackone

I soaked the old rocks Saturday through Monday, unfortunately I couldn't wait anymore haha (hopefully I wont regret it).
Played with my scrapping all evening Monday, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks but I don't seem to be able to post pictures from my work.

I'm now considering a stocking list, what do you think of the following to start off:

Ocelaris clown fish (single or pair?)
Fire fish (1)
Banngai cardinal (1)
Fire shrimp (1)

I know that leaves me room, I still need to look into further species. I'll have to look into clean up crews too but I'm leaning on a few hermits and nassarius or trocus snails.

We are also considering or looking into:

Tailspot blenny (1)
Gobie and pistol shrimp combo vs. Just a cleaner shrimp
Flasher wrasse (1) or another wrasse who wont pick on soft corals.

Still lots research and reading to do haha!

Eackone

Figured it out! I'd love to hear any advice or thoughts. Everything is stable but nothing is glued or drilled together.

I have room in the back to add more as I realize I might be short with 60lbs of rock.

This week I'll likely get a gyre style powerhead-wavemaker to further my circulation, I don't think a single 1055 Koralia is enough. Plus the softies will look great with the wave effect.

tanksalot360

It is more of an open scape look, so you'll see the fish a lot. I would like to see some swim-thru caves or arches, but it depends on the look you're going for. Fish like to sleep in caves or crevices.
I did notice the sand being a little deeper than maybe ideal (maybe others can chime in on this). I prefer 1" or less of sand or 4"+ of sand, nothing in between as nutrients can build up. Although, with plans for a goby/shrimp pair, you may want to bias more sand to one area.
Gyres have great reviews over all and should provide great flow.
As for fish, start off with the hardiest of your selection to ensure survival.
Quote from: Eackone on March 28, 2018, 04:30:06 PM
Ocelaris clown fish (pair)
Banngai cardinal (pair)
Everyone else looks compatible, just test the water and add small groups of fish at 2 week intervals.
It's a good idea to check the fish store salinity (from fish bag) when acclimating also.
You may get diatoms (brown algae-like film) in the first few weeks, but it will go away.

Eackone

Thanks for the input!

I agree, it was my intention to add more arches to see them swim through, I was concerned for stability since I didn't glue or epoxy anything. Perhaps before adding fish I'll get a few extra pounds of live rock to try to add swimthrough cave or 2. Athough you dont see many in the pictures, I have some rocks that already offer great cave like structures but not arches they would be able to swim through.

I think the pair of Oc. Clownfish will be the first ones to be added when the time comes

Eackone

Changed my scape a bit to incorporate more caves and to have something I can build off of if I wish to add futher rocks later.

Darth

what are you planing for lights? is the tank drilled? you plan to run a skimmer? for flow glamorca gyre are great. its basically a budget friendly gyre licened by maxspect.

tanksalot360

Dramatic improvement on the scape, I really like the change!

...Darth asks some good questions

Eackone

Quote from: Darth on April 03, 2018, 10:48:36 PM
what are you planing for lights? is the tank drilled? you plan to run a skimmer? for flow glamorca gyre are great. its basically a budget friendly gyre licened by maxspect.

Loving my glamorca gyre. It was recommended to me by the guys at Marinescape (who have been great!). I'll probably get another one to replace the Koralia eventually but its not a priority to me for the moment, I think I'm getting decent flow for my needs.

The tank is not drilled unfortunately. I've been looking into HOB skimmers in case I feel I need one as I progress with my tank.
Main concern is that it needs to be quiet since the tank is in our living room, I'm hoping I wont need one but I'm ready to pay more for a quiet skimmer. Alternatively I'll put it on a timer to run at night when no one is around.

As for lights, for the moment I'm just running strip lights LED while it'll be a fish only tank. I haven't looked much into lighting as of now, it intimidates me haha.
I keep my eyes out on Kijiji for deals to jump on. I plan on having mostly soft corals possibly a couple LPS if I have success with softies. But no SPS.

Quote from: tanksalot360 on April 04, 2018, 08:05:58 AM
Dramatic improvement on the scape, I really like the change!

Thanks! Your comment encouraged me to spend a bit more time on it, I'm much more pleased with it now.

Ammonia and Nitrite have been creeping up!