New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hi all!

Started by nerdRVT, March 23, 2018, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdRVT

Hi there! I'm Christine. I was a member of the club a long time ago, and I've been semi-lurking for the last year or so.

I'm a Registered Veterinary Technician and aquatic biologist. I run uOttawa's aquatic animal facility, which is home to about 18,000 fish and amphibians. Anything from zebra danios to rainbow trout and lots of other species. About 10,000 gallons of fish and frog housing, overall.

I don't have much in the way of my own tanks at the moment, but I have a small (~1.8G) office betta tank and I'm setting up a 20g FW in my office now, too. I have to admit that I forgot all about the joy and excitement of setting up a new system. :)

See you at the meetings!

matttimms49

wow that sounds amazing, What an interesting job!

Yes the excitement of setting up a new aquarium is definitely addicting. What's the plan for the 20gallon?

OVAS-Webmaster

Welcome back, hope you can make it out to a meeting.

Sounds like you could be a knowledgeable resource for the forum and the club.

You may not have many of your own tanks, but 10,000 gallons - I'd hate to have to do that water change  ;D

James
Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules

nerdRVT

Quote from: matttimms49 on March 23, 2018, 08:34:53 AM
wow that sounds amazing, What an interesting job!

Yes the excitement of setting up a new aquarium is definitely addicting. What's the plan for the 20gallon?

Thanks! I feel privileged every day to have this opportunity. Not just care for fish, but to be involved in their health and welfare, too.

Not sure yet for the 20G! I am a catfish girl so corys and otos for sure... probably a S.A. community of some kind.

nerdRVT

Quote from: OVAS-Webmaster on March 23, 2018, 08:57:30 AM
Welcome back, hope you can make it out to a meeting.

Sounds like you could be a knowledgeable resource for the forum and the club.

You may not have many of your own tanks, but 10,000 gallons - I'd hate to have to do that water change  ;D

James

Thanks! I'm glad that most of our water changes are completely automated :) just the life support systems tend to involve a lot of labor. I'm working on more automation for water parameter monitoring, too.

charlie

Welcome back Christine!, sure is nice to see a familiar face back with us.
was good chatting with you at the meeting , power failure and all  ;)
Errol