New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Looking for stocking suggestions - 20gal tank

Started by Senatorxmg, January 28, 2018, 05:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senatorxmg

Hi all,

New to the hobby with my son...looking for some suggestions to stock his tank with the following parameters in mind:

20 gallon tank...Aqua Clear 50 filter...gravel substrate
Not planted (maybe in the future but not right now)
PH: 8.4 (we're on well water)
GH: 12 drops (API test)
KH: 12 drops (API test)

Basically, he would like to have one or two centerpiece/larger fish (appropriately sized for 20 gal tank) surrounded by a supporting cast.  While not a huge tank, he'd like to get a reasonable number of fish.

We're currently in the midst of doing a fishless cycle and will not be stocking until after....we're almost there, I think!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Kalemh

One of your best centerpeice options would be honey gouramis you may be able to keep two of those. You could also do dwarf gouramis but they get bigger and you would only be able to do 1. You could also do a pair of killifish. With the honey gouramis and killifish you could add to group of cherry shrimp and a school of 10 or 12 harlequin rasboras, neon tetras, rummy nose tetras, or other smaller species of rasboras, tetras, and danios around that size. This may be stocked a bit heavy but if you add this slowly and later on add plants it shouldnt be a problem. Hope this helps

Senatorxmg

Thanks for the suggestions.  Just looked into the gouramis you noted and they seem to prefer a lower ph environment than I have. Do you think we'd have issues with our ph levels being at 8.4?

Kalemh

Thats true. What i recommend is acclimating them slowly with a drip acclimation if you really like them. They may turn out fine its just the initial with the ph i assume. I have soft water so take what i say with a grain of salt. I have never tried converting fish that come from low ph to high ph maybe someone else can help you out with this.

Gilbotron

Wow... thats some hard water - awesome for cichlids but unfortunately the tank is too small for most varieties.  Most tetras will struggle with those parameters...

With the addition of lots of decorative shells you could do an awesome shell dweller setup which might be very entertaining for your son.  They stay small (under 2"), have loads of personality, and should breed. 

Betta's and paradise fish will also work in hard water and make a nice centerpiece (although not sure if you could keep one with shellies).

Could be some smaller varieties of cichlids that could work - hopefully one of the cichlid experts will chime in here.

exv152

Some rainbow fish species prefer harder water. Also, check out mollies, platys, swordtails, goldfish etc. A lot of the tank raised fish nowadays can be acclimated to just about any reasonable pH range.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

matttimms49

ohh, maybe you could try a sorority of female betta? If they can take that PH like Gilbrotron said. https://www.myaquariumclub.com/female-betta-sororities-9266.html

Or the shellies would be great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQgZb6U3iPw

Dxpert

I've always wanted to setup a shellie tank. Some multies would be great to watch.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may09/shell-dweller-cichlid.htm

That PH is amazing, that is right inline with what Marine tanks are aiming for and spend hundreds on equipment to get them there.

Mike L

Without a doubt go with shell dwellers. Multies, brevis, etc. They only thing I would suggest is remove gravel and replace with pool filter sand. They naturally live in a sand environment and will move it around endlessly. It is also much easier to keep the substrate clean as any waste sits on top and can easily be cleaned

Shane4226

I've found my plateys and Dwarf gourmi adaptation well to hard water so did my upside down cat fish.

Senatorxmg

Thanks for all the suggestions!

With regards to my high PH, I'm really questioning why it is so high.  When the source was tested, my readings were around 7.6.  even my original water tests from when the well was drilled came back at 7.6.  I've read that one should take the readings after the water has had a chance to get rid of the CO2.  I just assumed the air pump/stone in the tank got rid of the gases and this is what brought up the PH. 

The high readings have come from the tank and I'm now wondering if there's something in the tank that has caused the increase?  Gravel substrate, base of plastic plants, resin decorations.

I'm now conducting a test where I've filled up 2 5gal buckets.  I'm going to let them sit a minimum of 24 hours before testing.  If the tests come out lower than my tank, I'm going to take the decorations and fake plants out of the tank and immerse them in one bucket for several days, and then test the 2 buckets again.

If I have high PH, then it is what it is and I will not be trying to modify it.

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Senatorxmg

Senatorxmg

I had an extra 5lb bag of the Topfin gravel and just took another look at it.  It states on the back to monitor ph levels as it may be affected. 

For my tests, I think I will use this gravel first to see if it does indeed raise levels.

Mike L

If your going shellies, go multies. The family will love the way the fish act. They are prolific as well and will tolerate multiple spawns hanging around. Pfs is cheap and its definatly what you what to get for them. Their digging behavior is very fun and intersting

exv152

Quote from: Senatorxmg on January 29, 2018, 05:01:18 PM
I had an extra 5lb bag of the Topfin gravel and just took another look at it.  It states on the back to monitor ph levels as it may be affected. 

For my tests, I think I will use this gravel first to see if it does indeed raise levels.

Substrate and rocks are the most common culprits for buffering pH/KH.  Let us know what you find.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Eackone

Not trying to hijack the thread but I've noticed a few people suggesting Multis.
I've been looking for Multis or similis for a little while now, I just seem to come accross Brevis.

Where did you guys find yours (if you have some)?