New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I may wake up to a dead community tank

Started by Slipper, March 27, 2018, 08:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slipper

So I was walking past my community tank in my living room, when something "off"  caught my attention. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the flow from my canister filter had completely stopped. "WHAT THE?" So I start to check things out and find my plug has jiggled itself out of the power bar. I plug it back in, in a panic.

Huge mistake.

Well I don't know how long it was unplugged. It was possibly anytime in between Friday and now.  The tiny supplemental sponge filter in there had been making enough of a racket that I had not noticed, and it kept my fish just fine.
When the canister water began to cycle into my tank.... well yuck, it stunk rotten eggs, grandfather  farts, what have you basically rotten water.

So I am changing water every half hour. I have squeezed every sponge filter I have into the tank. I added some air stones.
Any other advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated. 
This hobby never gets boring.

tanksalot360

Yikes! I do think you're doing just about everything you can. Using some kind of carbon, or absorbant can help in the short term. Just keep pumping the air and good luck, I hope everything makes it.

Slipper

Everyone is okay this morning. Holy crap. Even my tangerine tiger shrimp survived. I know things can change for the worse quickly, but I think my fish will be okay. My biggest fish are my abino corydoras or maybe my big mama amano shrimp. So I was worried. I think its amazing what a make shift sponge filter(blue replacement topfin sponge jammed over an ehiem bubbler)  can maintain. I think what really saved me was the combination of plants, lots of substrate bacteria, water volume(125 litres),but mostly it was the copious amount of hair algae I am so proficient at growing was my saving grace.  Also the rotten eggs smell is gone and the tank water tastes fine again. So all is well. So far...

LadyMario

Quote from: Slipper on March 28, 2018, 09:46:34 AM
Everyone is okay this morning. Holy crap. Even my tangerine tiger shrimp survived. I know things can change for the worse quickly, but I think my fish will be okay. My biggest fish are my abino corydoras or maybe my big mama amano shrimp. So I was worried. I think its amazing what a make shift sponge filter(blue replacement topfin sponge jammed over an ehiem bubbler)  can maintain. I think what really saved me was the combination of plants, lots of substrate bacteria, water volume(125 litres),but mostly it was the copious amount of hair algae I am so proficient at growing was my saving grace.  Also the rotten eggs smell is gone and the tank water tastes fine again. So all is well. So far...

wait did you actually taste your water? ???
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧