New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

white stuff growing on glass

Started by agraco, August 03, 2018, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agraco

My aquarium was left alone for 3 days: minimal light, no food. When I got back:
1. 1 plecko died
2. I checked ammonia (0), nitrate (0), nitrite (0), and Ph (7.8.

I don't know what could be the source of this issue...or even what it is. Other details:
1. The fish look fine: 8 adult platys, 1 female plecko, 3 baby platies.
2. Size of the tank: 65 gallon.
3. 25% of the water was changed 5 days ago and the gravel was filtered.
4. circulation of the water is non-stop and there are three air stones

How do I deal with the white stuff? It is blossoming on all sides of the aquarium.

thanks

Mike L

How new is the setup. You should run the test again as a properly cycled tank can't have 0 nitrates. The test bottles for this test must be vigorously shaken for at least a minute before use. As to the white stuff. Hard to tell from the picture. Could be Planaria which is common in the early stages of new tank setups.

agraco

Quote from: Mike L on August 04, 2018, 11:59:28 AM
How new is the setup. You should run the test again as a properly cycled tank can't have 0 nitrates. The test bottles for this test must be vigorously shaken for at least a minute before use. As to the white stuff. Hard to tell from the picture. Could be Planaria which is common in the early stages of new tank setups.

Thanks for that. I was in fact doing it wrong. I thought the second bottle was just a larger supply. Did not know the bottles had to be mixed.

Ammonia: 0 ( bright yellow)
Nitrite is blue so it is close to 0
Nitrate is orange so in the range of 5-10 ppm

The store thought that the wood I bought at the auction might have had bacteria...so I will throw it in the pool for a week....and do a lot of water changes. If you have another idea that would be appreciated.