New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Air pump suggestions

Started by matttimms49, September 16, 2018, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Hey guys I'm looking to get an airpump to run into two separate 15 gallons tanks. Is it better to but two separate pumps or should I buy one larger pump and split the line?

Any pump recommendations recommend also :)

Thanks everyone.

matttimms49

Or maybe I should get battery operated ones so they act as a back up also?

matttimms49

Jody

Hi Matt,
  If the tanks are next to each other I would just run one pump. The eheim and the aqueon pumps are both good ones.
  To me, unless you are in a place that gets lots of outages,  I wouldn't bother with a battery pump.
An hour or two here and there without air won't harm the tank.
Even travelling now, I take a small electrical pump.
Jody

matttimms49

The tanks are right next to each other. So I should go for a 30gallon pump and split it? Or would I be able to spilt a 15 gallon rated one?

Generally we don't get many power outages but I was just thinking in case. :)

Thanks for the help Jody. I like the look of the aqaueon ones as they have a built it check valve. Saves a few $ :)

limed

I would buy a large air pump for future , incase you add more tanks.
It also depends on how long your air line runs.  I normal run at lease 2 lines
in each tank, under ground filters.  Spend a little extra, will cost extra for the valves
to branch out to the tanks, or make your own. 

Ed

matttimms49

Thanks for the advice. The air line won't be going too far at the moment but it's always good to plan for future.

nerdRVT

At work we really have come to like the Eheim pumps for smaller applications, otherwise we use a bunch of pumps made by Sweetwater.

IMO for emergency preparedness, a battery powered air pump is a good investment. Even the relatively cheap ones can be good in a pinch. Because of the nature of my work, we're the queens of emergency preparation, but we keep sponge filter media seeded to be run off battery powered air pumps for worst case scenario situations.

Black_Rose

I have several of the Aqueon air pumps in use.

One of my setups has three tanks next to each other.

The two 7.5 gallon cubes have Swiss Tropicals 3" cube filters as their only filter.
Next to those I have a 20 gallon tall aquarium with a dual sponge filter to augment the HOB.

I am running those three sponge filters off of an Aqueon Quietflow 40 air pump.

matttimms49

Im sure the Eheim filters are great, but they are a little more expensive than the others I was looking at.

Great information guys, thanks for the replies :) I'm thinking of getting an aqaueon 40 gallon for the two 15 tanks next to each other.

May get a battery powered pump for the 40 gallon, as that is the most heavily stocked and would most likely require the extra security in a power outage.

Thanks for your replies. :)