New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Automatic fish feeders?

Started by Eric, November 04, 2018, 10:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Hi everyone,

I am planning a new tank (my grand return to fishkeeping!) and I have a bit of an odd question....

My situation is that I travel quite often, basically I am away 5 days every second week, with another day or two here and there.  I don't have anyone that can feed my fish for me when I am away.  For a long time, this problem was keeping me from getting a tank again.  In the past, I had angels or other SA cichlids and I didn't think I could take good care of them with my schedule.   

Then I spoke to someone at my LFS who said basically any small community fish should be fine to fast while I am away in his opinion (IHO?).  That seems surprising and sort of harsh to me.  I thought fish needed more regular food?  He did rule out angels IHO, but said tetras, livebearers, or even gouramis were fine?  Or I suppose could try an automatic feeder with flake food and then supplement with frozen when I am home. 

Can anyone share an opinion or recommendation on this?  It isn't an immediate problem, but I am planning the tank and the eventual fish or feeding system might change what I do. 

Thanks for any thoughts!

tanksalot360

Hi Eric,
Fasting regularly for 5 days every 2 weeks might be a bit much.
Feeding is most important for younger fish, well fed adults can go without food for much longer (2 weeks).
Survival is extended in planted tanks because there is plant material and microorganisms to graze on, but the plants may be damaged/eaten when you return home.
I'd take a look at an autofeeder.
I picked up a bunch of autofeeders for when I was away last year at Christmas. Since then, I've continued to refill them just to make it easier. Don't get me wrong, I still feed the fish manually as well. Here's a more recent thread with some input. http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=61533.msg342713#msg342713

Eric

Hey, thanks for the advice.  That was my thought about travelling too.  That thread on automatic feeders was great - thanks again. 

lucius

I use the Eheim fish feeders during the day while I'm at work.  They are filled with flake food.  When I get home, I feed them pellets or dried shrimp.  If I'm not home, then they don't get fed a second time.