New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

potential alternative to black diamond substrate

Started by sippingtowel, November 26, 2018, 11:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sippingtowel

I've been attempting to find a cheap black color substrate for my aquarium for a while, and the constant results I found was relating to black diamond sand. Which is used for sand blasting. As some of you may know, this particular brand does not appear to be sold in Ottawa. An alternative I've found is from Princess Auto, called Ebonygrit. This is a copper slag so it may not be safe for shrimp, and appears to be of black color. I've given a link below so you can see the mineral/chemical makeup of the product which upon first glace appears to not have any copper.

FYI, I have yet to actually purchase and try it for myself. Apparently there may be oil residue but it's negative affects is unknown.

Link to product: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ebonygrit-copper-slag-blasting-abrasive/A-p8200594e
Link to composition of the blasting sand: http://www.wistar.com/assets/Uploads/RentalProducts/grit/Ebonygrit-Copper-Slag-Information.pdf
29 gallon using chihiros a-series, beginner/newbie attempting to do aquascaping/planted aquarium with fish and shrimp. Stocked with some pearlweed, riccia, crypt, ghost shrimp, b.mollies and neons.

zy1011

how about ship BDBS to the border and pickup from there?

Black_Rose

You can get BDBS at the TSC Store in Kemptville.

zy1011

just realize I spell it wrong.  :)   

@ Black_Rose, I don't see item from TSC's website. did you recently buy them from the store?

sippingtowel

@zy1011  - Too far away, I atleast don't think its worth traveling that far to get it, don't forget you'd be paying money to travel there as well.

@Black_Rose oh good to know! I didn't know there's one there.
29 gallon using chihiros a-series, beginner/newbie attempting to do aquascaping/planted aquarium with fish and shrimp. Stocked with some pearlweed, riccia, crypt, ghost shrimp, b.mollies and neons.

lucius

Quote from: zy1011 on November 27, 2018, 11:36:24 AM
just realize I spell it wrong.  :)   

@ Black_Rose, I don't see item from TSC's website. did you recently buy them from the store?

If you do a Google search for 50LB K&E B2040 SANDBLASTING SAND, it will be the first hit.  There is a TSC in Rockland as well.

zy1011

Quote from: lucius on November 27, 2018, 12:35:24 PM
If you do a Google search for 50LB K&E B2040 SANDBLASTING SAND, it will be the first hit.  There is a TSC in Rockland as well.

Lucius, I did notice the K&E blasting sand mentioned, but I remember some folks from toronto aquatic forum mentioned the material-wise of these two products are not the same. I hope somebody who actually used K&E blasting sand can give some comments.   

CC-Slider

I have been using K&E for a year now and have seen no major problems. Except it shows the detritus to well, because of the contrast. I know one other person here also uses it.
"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"

sippingtowel

I've put around 4-5 cups of this stuff onto my aquarium for roughly 2-3 days now. Shrimp still alive, neon tetras still alive, platy still alive but doesn't seem as active. (I did disturb my old substrate alot as well)

Gave the copper slag a few rinses, no oily substances found and the grain size is quite small, shiny and pitch black. What did kinda bother me was the warning signs of carcinogens, does black diamond sand also has this warning on its bag?

As an aside, I decided to put a carbon bag to see if i'd help remove some of the heavy metals.

CC-Slider

I checked and Black Diamond Blasting sand and K&E Blasting sand are both made from coal slag. So K&E from TSC is a good substitute for Black Diamond which is not available in Ottawa area.

zy1011

Hi CC-Slider
   Do you have any reference of K&E sand is coal slag based?  Here is a reply from TSC for my query.

"Unfortunately the only blasting material that I can see on our end is two different sand mixtures. I know the item you provided is coal based, so it is not quite the same as the ones we offer."

CC-Slider

this is from TSC site for blasting sand
50LB K&E B2040 SANDBLASTING SAND
- 50lb Black Slag Sandblasting Sand - 2040 grade
- Please follow MSDS safety measures when using product
- Non-silica Product
derived from coal
- A sub-angular product
- Excellent for removing strong rust, thick paint from metal/pipe
- Suggested for removing rust and paint from boats, bridges
- Dark black

Now go to K&E site and check out the MSDS for Black Slag
http://www.kesand.ca/index_files/Page894.htm

Gilbotron

I too have been using K&E from TSC for about a year.  No issues with fish or snails. You really have to rinse it repeatedly with HOT HOT water to get all the oily residue out.  Definitely coal based given the oil slick it stained my sink with.

Not sure I would use it again given the hassle it is to clean - but it does look great.  A 50lb bag doesn't go nearly as far as you would expect as there tends to be significant loss with all the washing.