New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Canister filter or top flow? Looking for information.

Started by Doc, February 02, 2019, 01:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

HI!!  I'm looking for a little information about which filter to get...I have bought a 65 gal tank and it came with a SeachemTidal75 filter. Will this suffice or should I look at a canister filter (like Eheim or Fluval) and if so...which one is most economical and easiest to set up and use?  Thanks!!  😀

daworldisblack

Quote from: Doc on February 02, 2019, 01:07:34 AM
HI!!  I'm looking for a little information about which filter to get...I have bought a 65 gal tank and it came with a SeachemTidal75 filter. Will this suffice or should I look at a canister filter (like Eheim or Fluval) and if so...which one is most economical and easiest to set up and use?  Thanks!!  😀

I think the most important thing when it comes to filtration, is if you have the right size for the size of tank you have. This is a quick overview of some things that can help you determine that: https://www.theaquariumguide.com/articles/filter-flow-rate-guide

Then other things I personally consider are function, aesthetics and price.

FUNCTION
Hang-On-Back[HOB] filters like the Tidal you have, are great for mechanical filtration(to get the gunk out of the water and trap them in the sponges). They do little by the way of biological filtration. This may be ok depending on your bioload(how much waste your livestock creates mainly).They work great depending on your use-case and are on the cheaper end. Canister filters offer more bio filtration for sure if you have a bigger bioload. Both are pretty easy to set up although HOBs are generally easier - easy to set up and maintain. Canisters are a little more involved but varies between make and models. Tonnes of added features that can help on filters that you can look out for though: auto-priming, built-in heater, built-in skimmer etc.

AESTHETICS
Generally for show-tanks, people prefer to hide the hardware so Canister trumps. They have stronger pumps in them so they have better head-height ratings which allows them to be much lower, and tucked away from view in a stand, and still be able to pump water at the rated GPH. HOBs come in various colors and some find them distracting on the rim of a tank.

PRICE
Generally Canister is more pricy than the HOB but its up to you to decide if the above 2 trumps price as a deciding factor for the tank you have in mind. A good canister will last a long time and does more filtration  than a HOB so a few dollars more may be worth it and economical. Especially in filters for larger tanks - HOBs for larger tanks will cost much more but the gap in price between a HOB and a Canister is smaller at that level. Also, maybe used is the way to go ?

Hope that helps!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!