New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Assassin snail to control ramshorn?

Started by gchurchill, November 10, 2020, 10:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gchurchill

Hello,

I'm looking for some thoughts on the idea of getting some assassin snails to control the ramshorn snail population in my tank. I have a few big ramshorns (loonie size) that I don't mind but little ones just keep popping up! Is this a good way to control the snail pop as an alternative to flushing ramshorns down the toilet?

I was told overfeeding is a contributing factor to ramshorn breeding, but I'm only feeding my harlequin rasboras every two days now. I put an algae cookie a week in for my 8 cherry shrimp but the ramshorns just latch onto it.

Side note, it anyone is looking for a bunch of ramshorns to feed their puffer fish etc I'm happy to give them all away!

Thanks!

HayleYoyo

It can be over feeding

It can also be a that you have an algae problem, that they are controlling for you.

Assassin snails will lower the Ramshorn population, but won't do anything for the underlying problem.

Think of it this way, if your house had a fruit fly problem, I doubt you'd start bringing spiders into your home to help with it. You'd most likely kill their food source

gchurchill

Black_Rose

Another issue that happened with me was the assassin snails I got to control the pest snails ended up breeding prolifically and became pests themselves.

lucius

I would give it a go.  They don't breed as quickly as ramshorns.  Just keep one assassin snail per 10 or 15 gallons.  Instead of algae wafers for the shrimp, you can try zucchini or cucumber slices.

gchurchill

Okay sounds good, thanks! I'll try the veggies out for the shrimp!