New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Camallanus Worms

Started by Sashie, June 02, 2021, 10:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sashie

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the hobby. I have had my 5 gallon tank for 2 months now and I'm looking for advice that my LPS just cannot offer.

I have a case of camallanus worms in my tank. Probably introduced by the 2 female guppies I added approx 5 weeks ago.
I saw odd symptoms in one (white stringy poop) about 2 weeks ago and isolated her in a make-shift hospital container while I tried to find out what she had.

By the time the red worms appeared, it was too late.
2nd guppy started showing same symptoms and took her out as well. She passed yesterday.

My first main concern is my Betta (the tank was originally just for him). I went to an independent fish store when I could not find any medication at LPS and I was informed (what I had also been suspecting) that all those meds are nearly impossible to come by here in Canada due to the new heath laws that were passed +- 2019. I would have to find a vet who specializes in fish and that is not an option for me as the only one I found is a bit too far.
I started seeing possible signs on my Betta, but his fins are deep red so maybe I was just being paranoid and I was a wreck all night.
The only "home remedy" sort of solution I could find was to add Garlic Guard (seachem) to the food prior to feeding in hopes that the worms hate the garlic and if small enough, will be expelled.  I don't have my hopes too high for this method, but I figured it would not hurt to try. Been doing this for 2 days and he *seems* a bit better.

My 2nd (and 3rd?) concerns are my 2 mystery snails who I ADORE and my couple of cherry shrimps.
I know they are safe from the worms BUT there seems to be a chance they can carry the eggs or larvae or wtv... so if I were to disinfect (with bleach) the tank and then re-introduce them in, I'm anxious that the problem would just start again.
I also have 2 tiny Otos in there who show 0 signs of infection atm.

I have a clear bin container to use as a temporary tank while my 5 gallon would get cleaned out, but I don't want to have to do it twice if my betta is infected and will just die in a week :(
I plan on throwing out the gravel once I bleach the tank and starting anew with aquarium soil (probably seachem fluorite black), but it would be expensive if I have to replace the soil again a week later.... I also have a lot of plants in there... I had just gotten the tank to a good point cycle-wise. So I'm at a crossroads and don't know which direction to go...

My main questions are the following:

- Should I wait for my Betta a while to see if he's safe before cleaning?
- Should I just go ahead and bleach everything today but risk having to redo everything again in a week or two?
- Can a sponge filter be bleached or will I need to purchase a new one?
- How do I treat and re-introduce my plants?
- Once tank is set up anew, and I add in my Mystery Snails and my shrimps, should I wait a long while before re-introducing Betta (assuming he survives) in case they are carrying larvae?
- Should I just keep betta in the clear bin container (aka hospital tank) for about a week to see if there are any changes and that way I don't risk my main tank once cleaned?
     + Worried about his stress levels
     + Worried I won't be able to analyze him properly since it's plastic and not glass

I apologize if I sound like I'm all over the place. This kept me up all night  :'(