New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Betta going down, any ideas?

Started by rivermuse, June 04, 2021, 09:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rivermuse

I purchased two male Bettas for my kids, each in a 4.5 gallon planted tank. The first became a bit sick and but fully recovered. The second one became sick and is almost done for.  Any ideas are welcome.

Timeline:
May 3 introduced him to a fully cycled tested tank.
He was swimming strong and fine. Suddenly Mid may, he was hiding in the tank in the bottom.
Since then he would not move much. After a week, I moved him to a hospital tank with low water level for about 1 week. His swimming improved or at least seemed liked. Moved him back into his tank.
But gradually his condition worsened. He was eating well the entire time.
His condition become worse the last two days. Barely moving. I put him back in a hospital tank with an Almond leaf after a 10 minute "bath" in aquarium salted water.
He did not eat today.
Ever since I noticed he was sick, I have been chasing water at least once day or every other day.
I change water everyday in the hospital tank which has nothing but just water and almond leaf.

HayleYoyo

Few things.

One, without seeing the fish it's really hard to know what's going on.

Two, whenever anything looks off, the first thing you should do is a water test, then a water change. If your parameters are off, then that's what you need to focus on.

Three, see a vet. There is a great service canadianfishvet.com. He might be able to help.

There is also a live stream later this month, you can ask him a question there aswell

lucius

I've been using Aquarium Coop's aquarium salt treatment for quarantining.  It's epsom salt that you can only put the fish in for short period of times.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish