New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Blackworms (Lumbriculus variegatus)

Started by Helder Lopes, January 18, 2023, 03:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helder Lopes

Hi gang, lots of supply issues lately.  I've got a well planted 90g (no fish yet) and I want to set up a thriving culture of blackworms in it for a few months before I use the tank for conditioning breeders, and to help with feeding the fry.

My problem is there's some kind of shortage of live blackworms?!? Does anyone have a cup to spare, or know where I could get some?  My only option right now might be a supplier in California, expensive transport, and I'd need to pick up at the airport, with no guarantee on safe arrival.  I love my fish, but that seems excessive for worms!

Thanks!

Jody

Hi Helder,

Yeah, blackworms are always a bit of a issue to get in Ottawa.
I have seen them available at Shrimp Fever, but their availability tends to be off an on.
The last time I got some from them it was a good sized portion (though that was a few years back).

Unfortunately, even the farms producing them are having issues with supply over the last couple of years, and have been limiting quantities purchased,  but hopefully that will be resolved soon.

Jody