New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Newbie Needs Help

Started by Nelson, May 25, 2004, 05:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelson

Hi Everyone..have some unanswered questions that I know all you folks with the experience can help with.  I have a Lithobate with her second mouthful of eggs.  The first time she was in this condition the eggs disppeared.  I now have a 35gal fry tank that I can use to segregate her - if this is what I'm supposed to do.  Do I wait until the eggs hatch or do I remove her now?  I like to suggestion that 328iGuy has about the floating fry container.  The idea of keeping mom in the same environment (tank) makes sense to me, so is this a possible solution? Any advice will be appreciated.

328iGuy

Quote from: "Nelson"Hi Everyone..have some unanswered questions that I know all you folks with the experience can help with.  I have a Lithobate with her second mouthful of eggs.  The first time she was in this condition the eggs disppeared.  I now have a 35gal fry tank that I can use to segregate her - if this is what I'm supposed to do.  Do I wait until the eggs hatch or do I remove her now?  I like to suggestion that 328iGuy has about the floating fry container.  The idea of keeping mom in the same environment (tank) makes sense to me, so is this a possible solution? Any advice will be appreciated.

I still say I dont see why you couldn't leave her in the tank and then once the fry are released seperate them into the fry container.

ambushman2j

It's easier to remove the 1 fish into a smaller tank, then remove the 1 fish back into the main tank instead of trying to catch multiple small fish

females eventually will eat their fry too so I wouldn't want to keep the female in with the rest of the fry for too long, longest I have ever was 5 days..and with other fish in there, they will try and eat them on day 1