New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Advice on Pseudotropheus demansoni's

Started by Nelson, May 31, 2004, 12:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

well if you want to start the insanity,  lets start by tracing my wild males and wild females back to somewhere in Lake Malawi.  These fish were at one point fry in the lake.  Fast forward 4 years. Stuart's men catch fish in one spot per species per day but on the next day they might be slighty west or east of the catchpoint.   Stuarts men bring home 400 estherae, both males and females, and send art 10.  are they the same fry that were spit from one female 5 years ago?

you can say the same thing about what happens in our home aquarium on a smaller scale.  put 5 males and 10 females in a tank, breed them,  over a period of 4 months you have 5 females spit once a month....   mix all the fry together or separate them and eventually mix them together based on size,  the chance of having siblings is quite low.  

this of course is assuming that the wild parents are not brother and sister  (LOL!)

ambushman2j

my point is how many people will do all that?  when you buy a group from the store, who's to say they aren't already brother and sister?..then they breed..even in a group of 5-5 it doesn't matter..all I know is I haven't had any complaints about my fry, everyone who buys from me seems quite happy with what they get, so if I am doing it, it can't be effecting them too badly..I really don't know the background on alot of my fish