New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mystery Killer

Started by Troy, June 30, 2003, 03:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Victims: Two female Auratus first one found stuck under a rock from fleeing chewed fins all banged up "Dead". Second victim found ripped up less fins stuck to filter intake "Dead". Third female chewed up hiding at the top of the tank. Forth-female Auratus found intacted but hiding. Suspects: One Male Socolofi Largest Cichlid in 55 gal tank has been displaying to 1 of two females for 2 days. Second female Socolofi is holding has been for 7 days, not eating and soon to be moved to a breeding tank. She is not a suspect.
Primary Suspect Male Auratus He has been flashing and displaying to females for the past week! All female Auratus in the past have breed with this male but nothing in the past 3 months. He has been abusive in the past; but killing 2 and chewing up another female does not sound like him. Disease and bloat can be ruled out / No new food / no new fish/ water change done 10 days ago. Nothing new in this tank. Other inhabitants two Algae eaters, One Raphael. I have to admit I did not check the inhabitants before lights out last night. So time period for attacks is 24hrs. Have never heard of any one male attacking all his mates (4 total) and killing 2 and injuring 1.They have all been in this tank for 2.5 years.
The Mystery is did he do it and should I supply him with more females or start with a new male and harem? Guys I need an opinion. Have you ever heard of a killing spree like this and should I start from scratch. Thanks..... Troy. :cry:

vpilieci

I have heard of a killing spree like this (had one myself once) but it wasn't the male showing... it was the Butler!!! No seriously tho, my money would be on the male Scolofi, his mate is holding and he is staking claim to some ground now before the fry arrive. I had a Kennyi do this, he took over 80% of the tank and would kill anyone who came out of the corner he allowed for the other fish.

I'm sure the auratus is roughing up his females, but I can't seen him killing them. I think the scolofi doesn't want any competition for water space and he is taking care of any potential problems before they start.

Just my 0.02 cents...

VP

Troy

vpilieci : Thanks,  I think now that the male Auratus got frustrated with not breeding with the females and went on a rampage. I have removed the two females put them in a 10 gal hospital tank with some meds. One female Auratus has nearly lost all her tail fin. I hope she survives; she is not looking good. I went out today to 4 different lfs and could not find any adult females; saw juveniles but I am not sure they will survive this male Auratus. He was great when he was younger but with age & time he has gotten more aggressive with the females.
Only the guy at my regular shop said he would try to get me some adult females. He also warned me, they would probably cost me a lot of money, It's the usual story where they will almost give away males but not want to give up the females. I was debating starting over with a new batch. I have a tank with 12 or more 1-inch juveniles from 6 months ago. I was going to sell them but now I am thinking I should just start a species tank. What do you think? Thanks again..... Troy. :?

ambushman2j

That's all pretty common..my tropheops did that, is there any female which he's not killing?  I had 1m4f and the male would only allow 1 female out of the rock formation at a time, any other one would be beaten into submittion back into the rocks, and the female would also do this to the other females