New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Non-Fish Stuff classifieds

Started by apistome, June 28, 2006, 09:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apistome

Do you think it would it be opening up a whole new can of worms to have a seperate, non-fish related classified section? where people could sell their Depeche Mode cd's and what not? ;D
People seem to post stuff for sale in the lounge that isn't fish related, which is fine by me, but maybe another classified section could be set up instead? Might be an interesting idea...Heck, people could donate 2% of the sale to OVAS and we could run
OVAS ebay!

babblefish1960

Capital idea mon, but then we'd risk losing our not for profit status. Need to keep it intact for future generations of fishnuts. The separate classified is probably a good think though, you're obviously mulling. ;)

darkdep

I dunno.  I know we don't discourage classified ads in the lounge for non-fish items, and our community is getting large enough that it's probably effective for a lot of people, but if we have a seperate area doesn't that mean we're changing from a fish website to a fish-and-other website?

BigDaddy

Originally, we had the Aquatic Discussions & the Classified ads.  Both were fish only.

As the forums grew, people began bringing up non-fish related topics in there posts.  Some people didn't want to skim over these, and it was decided to have The Lounge for non-fish related topics.  It was still "club-related" because it provided a social aspect to our club members (especially those that don't or can't attend Monday night meetings).

The focus of this site should be related to the aquarium society.  I think adding a general classifieds section would not be in line with our mandate.

Underwater

I'm happy with the current number and layout of the forums.

I think any more would detract from the current ones. And it's not like the lounge is being overrun with classifieds.

Also, if you have non-fish classifieds, you run a higher risk of people coming here just to peddle their wares as opposed to talking fish.  I think it'd be a welcome invitation to spam.

apistome

Yeah, why mess with success.
plus what a lounge without some furniture, tv's, and computer parts   :)

darkdep