New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish Room Shutdown (and) New Custom Tank Plans!

Started by darkdep, August 24, 2007, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

Sorry to hear about you having to close down your fish room. Them molds are nasty stuff especially to humans!

fishycanuck

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Wow, we all enjoyed watching the fish room grow... the business, the breeding, and now this.
I am very sad for you.
We look forward to the debut of your new fish house.

dan2x38

DarkDep- I remember from bodyshop days that they use electrostatic painting. It is just charging the paint positively as it passes through the gun then grounding the surface being painted. This process saves paint plus makes much better surface coating.  Could this principle not be employed some how? Say hoods like over stoves positive charge the air/moisture as it passed through. Then ground a metal mess filter. The charge would not need to be very high at all and using DC current would be ideal; I think. Maybe with the fans turning at the right speed it would statically charge the moist air? Then have a drip tray just like a dehumidifier. Just a brain storming head scratcher...  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

darkdep

Thanks everyone.  This fishroom was great but of course there are a ton of things I'd do differently if it was done over again.  Fish Room II will be a super improvement. 

But hey!  I'm looking at it positively.  I will keep a single tank so I get to go shop for a big one. 

And, BTW, you are all vultures!  I can't believe how many PM's I've gotten already asking about what I'm selling lol :)

dan2x38

And so the carrion swarm...  8) Guess the mini auction will not be short of items to purchase?
Voltaire:

darkdep

The Big Sale will occur the weekend of September 1st.  I'll have a list posted this weekend.  Keep your eyes peeled.  :)

dan2x38

Sept. 1st- 12:01am? With eyes wide open...  8)
Voltaire:

audioslave_36

Hey Chris

I am sorry that you are having to take a break from the fish room, and I am sure your next fish room will be even more impressive :)

Dave

babblefish1960

Quote from: DarkDep on August 24, 2007, 09:36:26 PM
But hey!  I'm looking at it positively.  I will keep a single tank so I get to go shop for a big one. 

If I may be so bold as to offer up a suggestion, in order to keep the trade off fair, what about something in the order of say...oh, about 300 gallons or so. :)

sniggir

I like the way you think babble....can you say frontosa tank....hehehehehe...well that  is my plan but chris yours may differ either way...a 300 sounds good ..... mmmm ya think we could con ya into SW... that would be a craxy tank!!!!!!!!

Pat
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

darkdep

Well, since I made the agreement to myself a long time ago that the fish investment stays in fish, I need to spend all the sale proceeds on the new tank.  :)

I want something at least 6" long, 24" wide...although I'd love to do an 8" tank.

dan2x38

When you start the new one will you post pics of the progress and/or the plans?
Voltaire:

darkdep

For sure.  Hell I think I'll need to put a call out for help bringing it into the house :)

sas

Quote from: DarkDep on August 25, 2007, 02:31:19 PM
Well, since I made the agreement to myself a long time ago that the fish investment stays in fish, I need to spend all the sale proceeds on the new tank.  :)

I want something at least 6" long, 24" wide...although I'd love to do an 8" tank.
Um.........6 inches long and 24 inches wide........and or an 8 inch tank ???.
Quote from: DarkDep on August 25, 2007, 05:31:12 PM
For sure.  Hell I think I'll need to put a call out for help bringing it into the house :)
???.......... :)..... I couldn't resist ::)

audioslave_36

Quote from: DarkDep on August 25, 2007, 02:31:19 PM

Can't see there needing to be much help to carry a tank that size  ::)   but if you do, I will come over and lend a hand  ;D

darkdep

Oh jeez,  LOL

Perfect dimensions now are 84" x 24" x 24".  That will fit the space perfectly.  I don't want higher than that, cause it'll be too hard to clean :)

audioslave_36

Quote from: DarkDep on August 25, 2007, 07:13:56 PM
Oh jeez,  LOL

Perfect dimensions now are 84" x 24" x 24".  That will fit the space perfectly.  I don't want higher than that, cause it'll be too hard to clean :)

yes I have to agree, the only draw back to my 220g is it is 30" deep and my arm is 30" long.  not fun

babblefish1960

Over many years, I have had a few tanks that were three feet and four feet deep, and I will add that they were planted tanks too.  When you get to a certain depth, there are actually good commercial tools to help reach all the far away places, and of course, I could hold my breath for quite a long while if I was just hanging in the tank over the side. However, the really deep ones, and I had one that was 66" deep, was to climb right in and get wet while doing landscaping and maintenance. Kind of fun for the fish too, they eat out of your hands and when you're in there with them, they tend to be very friendly.  Great way to get to know your fish. ;)

darkdep

Yeah....no. 24" tops.  :)

Actually, the limiting factor for me is going to be the stairs leading down to the basement.  As much as I try, the tape measure tells me getting an EIGHT foot tank down the stairs would be impossible.

dan2x38

Suffering 1 day came across an article about a guy buying a tank to big had to remove front picture window to put it in the living room... now that is fish crazy...  :D
Voltaire: