New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish Room Shutdown (and) New Custom Tank Plans!

Started by darkdep, August 24, 2007, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

Vultures? Not me  ;)

I still wish this was ne needed, but I am looking forward to Fish wall 2.

Bruce

beowulf

As promissed, here is the site I found that makes huge custom glass and acrylic tanks.

http://www.aquariumsforyou.com/

bitterman

So APW how big a tank are you doing? 8'-10'? or a 6'er? to replace you fish wall?

Bruce

darkdep

Right now, the plan is a 7'.  However, I just got a lead that someone may be able to come in and assemble it in place...which opens the door to something larger.  I can't get a tank longer than 7' down my stairs but a single pane of glass should be another story...if this becomes reality I might just order the glass locally from Rossen and have it delivered.

...Hmm...I wonder if Rossen would build the tank for me :)

beowulf

Quote from: DarkDep on August 27, 2007, 11:20:58 AM
Right now, the plan is a 7'.  However, I just got a lead that someone may be able to come in and assemble it in place...which opens the door to something larger.  I can't get a tank longer than 7' down my stairs but a single pane of glass should be another story...if this becomes reality I might just order the glass locally from Rossen and have it delivered.

...Hmm...I wonder if Rossen would build the tank for me :)

Glass or acrylic?

audioslave_36

If you want to do Acrylic you could call Plastec, on Iber road, talk to Mike or Roch they own the place and they do amazing things with all sorts of plastics.

darkdep

I'm leaning back towards glass.  Acrylic looks like it's just going to cost too much. 

Anyone know anyone in the Ottawa area who would be willing to assemble a tank in place?  :)

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on August 27, 2007, 12:30:41 PM
I'm leaning back towards glass.  Acrylic looks like it's just going to cost too much. 

Anyone know anyone in the Ottawa area who would be willing to assemble a tank in place?  :)

Why not DIY and do an OVAS Article? Maybe someone with experience can help. I'd help too if you need it, but I'm not experienced with tank building.

Bruce

darkdep

bitterman

Also thought about sumping the setup? One of your 75's would make a good sump for a larger tank.

Bruce

darkdep

I'll be sumping, but I don't care that much about what I use at this point.  I'll be selling my 75's because I have the tops for them and they are in pristine condition; I'll pick up something scratch and dent for the sump.

I'm revisiting the plywood tank idea.  This is where I was in the beginning.  This I think I could handle, even found all the ingredients.  If this worked, I might go for a 96" x 30" x 24" tank, about 300 gallons :)

beowulf

300g that sounds familiar  :P

babblefish1960

Yes it does doesn't it beowulf!   Now that is more like it, a size more in keeping with mass efficiency and of course, keeping it cricket in the downsizing realm.  If you look up the golden rectangle of arts and sciences, you will find something that approaches a most pleasing shape to the soul as you sit and ponder life's intricacies as found in your favourite fish in your show tank. ;)

darkdep

Only fear of building it gives me pause.

beowulf

Quote from: DarkDep on August 27, 2007, 02:33:55 PM
Only fear of building it gives me pause.

Well if you are going to go 300g why not 600g?

darkdep

RoxyDog

ok, I *have* to ask...if you're getting rid of all your tanks to avoid moisture...won't a big-ass 300gal tank also do the same thing?   ???
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

darkdep

Actually, no.  The 210gallon "default" tank at this point has 3.5 times LESS surface area than all the existing tanks, even though it's only about half the total volume.  That combined with a more comprehensive sealing plan of the top and the dehumidifier should be fine. 

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on August 27, 2007, 02:54:04 PM
Actually, no.  The 210gallon "default" tank at this point has 3.5 times LESS surface area than all the existing tanks, even though it's only about half the total volume.  That combined with a more comprehensive sealing plan of the top and the dehumidifier should be fine. 

So for me I'm adding so about 6400" squared of surface area. Is this going to cause me problems? Tanks are going to be mostly sealed on the top, Sump will be sealed, I have a heat exchanger in the house and dehumidifier rated from 2300 sq. Feet in a 1200 Sq. Feet house.

Bruce.

darkdep

From recent knowledge, it depends on the house.  You will note that all my tanks had glass tops and were more or less covered (except the gaps at the back).  It wasn't enough.  Dave Patte had a suggestion that the gaps in the stand between tank top and bottom of the next stand rung (i.e the working space above tank) be covered with some sort of flap as well. 

Bruce:  You cannot imagine how the humidity will climb in that room.  I could literally run my dehumidifier 24/7 and the reading never drops below about 52, and that's on a REALLY dry summer day.  In Winter I can't get it below 60.  Note that at consistant 65% humidity, you're risking mold growth.

With one tank sealed I'm confident I'll be ok.  In the future, in Fish Room II, I will have specialized venting to the outside set up.