New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish Room Shutdown (and) New Custom Tank Plans!

Started by darkdep, August 24, 2007, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on August 28, 2007, 01:28:31 PM
Got my glass quotes today.  Basically, 1/2" (12mm) glass is $12.50 / sq ft.  So, the tank should cost about $775 for the raw glass, then an extra $90 or so for the braces.  $865 + tax.  Not bad for a tank of this size.

I'll need to add a couple of dollars for holes in the bottom (better firm up that design) and it sounds like they will deliver to my house for free as I'm so close.  Rockin!

For those wondering, this cost is MUCH cheaper than purchasing from a retail outlet such as Big Als, but it's pretty much exactly what you'd pay a custom tank builder...I'm not really saving any money.  It's just that I have to go this way to get the exact size I want.  And, the downside to not buying from a retail outlet is, of course, nobody to call and complain to if it leaks :)

Now the glass is lined up what about the silicon? What are you going to use? I know Home Hardware caries tubes that states "FOR Aquarium Use" I used it for my resealing a 50. Hmm how many tubes will that take? Mayeb you need buy it by the case LOL

Bruce

darkdep

The standard answer..."GE Silicone I in the Blue Tube"!

Actually, I MAY pick it up by the case.  It's about $4 a tube; I figure I'll buy a ridiculous amount and just return what I don't use.

RossW

Quote from: DarkDep on August 28, 2007, 02:08:50 PM
The standard answer..."GE Silicone I in the Blue Tube"!

Does that say "For Aquarium Use" on it?  I am asking as I want to try and "glue" a rock back together and need to purchase some.  Is this stuff available at Home Depot, Home Hardware, etc.?

PaleoFishGirl

Have you thought about maybe using 3/4" glass for such a huge tank?? I wonder what the price difference would be.

darkdep

I've done calculations based on a few charts on the internet.  I could actually use 3/8" glass with the design I've chosen, but it wouldn't be as safe.  The fact that it's only 24" high makes a huge difference.

GE Silicone I "used to" say Aquarium Safe on it, until GE decided to stop paying to have that certification on the label.  It's still 100% silicone and I've used it many times.

Iceman

Quote from: DarkDep on August 28, 2007, 03:49:32 PM
GE Silicone I "used to" say Aquarium Safe on it, until GE decided to stop paying to have that certification on the label.  It's still 100% silicone and I've used it many times.

I contacted GE about this and APW is correct. Basically GE is saying, if your tank explodes or your fish die, well, that's not our fault. In reality, the stuff is safe.

bitterman

APW woudl this work for you?  http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Air_Exchanger/air_exchanger.html  Maybe allow you to not sell everything?  At least a good idea for the fish room 2.

Bruce

Fishnut

Lol...that's like everything in the grocery store saying "may contain traces of peanuts".  All they want to do is cover their bums.