New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A. undulatus, plant contest, put all questions,comments, pictures in here

Started by kennyman, September 27, 2007, 06:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

beowulf

Quote from: Nerine on March 26, 2008, 02:28:57 PM
any word on the plant contest?

I received the prize for it in the mail and will be passing it on to a member of the executive soon.  Not going to reveal what it is but the winner should like it!!  ;)

succinctfish

The plant contest will be judged at the May meeting, and the winner will get a prize.  So hold onto those plants until then.  :)

Nerine

verrry cool :)

well I'm out! mine is no where near what you people have, and doesn't even LOOK like what everyone else has...
I think I got a weed of some sort ;) it's a nice low foreground plant!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Fishnut

I'm curious...how are these plants going to be judged?  Are we going to pull them out and lay them in a plastic bag or are they going to be put  in an aquarium for judging?  My competition plant is in a flower pot, but the one that Dan gave me is not. 

That reminds me, am I allowed to enter mine AND enter Dan's as a joint effort?

succinctfish

See here for plant contest information and reminders.

Don't forget to bring your plant to the meeting tomorrow! :)

washefuzzy

succinctfish

We had a total of 3 entries in the plant contest this year.  ::)  Where did all those plants that we handed out at the beginning of the year go?  Okay, mine is looking fairly insignificant in my tank still, so I know what happened to one of them, but what about everyone else?
So, the question is, if you got a contest plant, why didn't you bring it to the contest at the end? It would be helpful to have this information, to assist next year's executive with plant contest decisions.

Congratulations to the winner this year, BigDaddy. 

apuppet

mine starting flowering a few days ago, and finally started to show some type of movement.  it was dormant since i gotten the plant, untill 2 weeks ago, when it decided to send this long stem upwards.  at first i didnt know what it was doing, and had to blink twice before i saw that stem.      i didnt want to rip it up and bring it in, and end up waiting another year for it to do anything.   but congrads to Sean for winning.  Mine would never have won.   its the same size, but with a stem added on it. :D
planted

kennyman

My plant is still chugging along but does not do overly well in a 1.5 wpg non co2 tank. Could be the hard water??

I did not even attend the meeting. That is 3

RossW

I yanked mine from my tank at the end of Feb. as it was... "looking fairly insignificant in my tank still"

Laura

I have a contest plant, but only remembered as I was running out the door to the meeting.
I also wasn't keen on pulling it up in case it reacted badly - it's a really nice plant.  I liked the opportunity to grow it (and thanks Big D for one of your plants!)  It looks great.

I also had thought that I didn't have a chance of winning given my tank is lower tech.

What about if we did the initial round by photo and if we had a close tie then the potential winners could bring their plants to a meeting?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Fishnut

I planted mine in a terracotta pot, then put the pot in my tank.  It was pretty small, but in the spirit of the competition, I brought it in anyways.

Perhaps next year we should all grow something that does well in low tech and high tech tanks...Christmas Moss.  It's possible to get quite creative with the stuff and it would be interesting to see at the end of the OVAS season who did what with the moss.

Nerine

I didn't bring my plant...when I picked one up, I got one of the last ones, and it was fairly small, and it never grew! it has a beautiful root base on it right now, but just not growing UP. it's maybe about 4 inches or so tall if that!

sas

Wellllll........Ours grew twice (just leaves no flower spike) and is now in it's second dormency, at least I'm hoping it's not dead? For the moment it's a lovely brown mound of matter. Our plant was grown with 2 wpg and DIY CO2. Our water is extremely hard also. I've been threatening to throw it onto the manure pile for awhile now. Not that I ever would.
I didn't get to the meeting either :(.

Vizerdrix

Quote from: Laura on May 27, 2008, 08:52:41 PM
What about if we did the initial round by photo and if we had a close tie then the potential winners could bring their plants to a meeting?

I like that idea.  I would be relunctant myself to dig out a plant that I've cared for so long and is doing well on the chance that it wouldn't recover from the shock.

Heck, I'd be willing to go to members houses to take the pictures, so as to validate that the presented shot was indeed from that member's tank. :)

PaleoFishGirl

I *love* the Christmas moss idea.  It would make more of that lovely plant available to everyone in the area.  You can do a LOT of cool things with it - make it a horticultural + art contest!