New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Here it is... 20 gallon nano tank build

Started by ordi260, March 17, 2010, 07:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ordi260

Quote from: RossW on April 10, 2010, 08:21:23 PM
Your pH seems a little on the low side.  What is your alk?

Test kit for alk will be bought tomorrow!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

ordi260

Hey guys!

Here is an update!

The HOB skimmer is returned, its a good skimmer but a bit too much noisy IMO and microbubbles were an issue.  Im goin to get a recirc 110 tomorrow and it will be located in a bookcase with doors next to the stand to dampen the sound!

Going to buy plumbing and skimmer tomorrow...pictures to come  :D

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

Vincenzo.

sweet. a diy muffler is always a good idea.

ordi260

Skimmer is installed!  It took me a while but it was fun  :D  I hope everything is done correctly!
There are some bubbles in the tank (many bubbles i have to say) but i guess they will dissapear as it breaks in!

Here are the pics of the day!

Tell me what you think!

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

I have a question about the skimmer! 

I came home today and looked at it and i noticed that there was almost no foam going up the skimmer...
water level is unchanged, water flow going back to the tank is unchanged but no skimmate collected today
(and very little collected until installation...)its brown-green tho...
I tried to change water flow, adjusting the output tube rotation, checked the air intake tube, blown in it to see if there was any water in there, checked for any kinks in the tube...water level in the display tank is alright...
I just cant figure out what happenned!

any suggestions on things to check or its a normal new skimmer behaviour?

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Just to make things a little more clear...there is lots of bubbles in the chamber its just that they dont stack up in the direction of the collection cup as they used to do yesterday...they just blow when they come the the surface of the water and dont stack up...i would say there is about 1 cm of foam on to of water level and that's it... what's happening in there???

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

That's been a little while i haven't posted on here!

Clean up crew has been added!

Scarlet and mexican red legs along with some nassarius, cerith and astrea snails!

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Here is some pics i took tonight?  Can anybody help me identify them?

The first ones are about something incrusted on my tank's glass.  It somewhat sticked on the glass and looks like the shape of baby snails but i never seen some before...am I right?

The other ones are about algeas i have in there!  Identification will be appreciated...i think everything is normal so far but i want to double check before something goes crazy!

Thanks guys!

Snails????

Algeas???

(This one is on the glass and its brown...no hairs its more like little spots)

(This one is growing on the live rock)

(Little green spots on the rock)

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

groan

the little snails are normal. a sign of a healthy tank. that yellow thing looks like a sponge. also good. the long green thing is algae. looks like a single strand of Chaetomorphia. a beneficial macro algae. that little bit of green stuff on the rocks in the last pic, probably just a bit of surface algae that your clean up crew will clear up.
i would expect nothing to worry about. you also may be experiencing a diatom bloom. typical for a settling tank. i am experiencing it now.
looks like a algae outbreak. brown film covers EVERYTHING.

Vincenzo.

pic 1 & 2 = feather star. Very good!
pic 3 = sponge. Very good!
pic 4 = i cant tell. i dont think its flatworms, prolly diatoms
pic 5 = macro algae, chaeto. Good!
pic 6 = your rock never stays 'clean' like when u buy it..it's diversifying, in other words covering in algae. eventually if your parameters are good it'll cover in coralline.

Tyler.L

pics 1 and 2 are actually spiroid worms they are good though  nothing to be scared off you can just scrape them off the glass if need be

ordi260

are those guys gonna stay there or eventually move to substrate and rocks??  If they are good i dont want to get rid of them...they dont really bother me...as far as they dont cover the whole front and side panels...

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Tyler.L

nope they will just form on the glass and somtimes you'll get them on your rocks and powerheads etc...

ordi260

is the clean up crew gonna eat them??

Free food is always nice for them...  8) i might keep all of them where they are and just scrape those on the front glass if they ever become overpopulated...

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Tyler.L

no, nothing eats them that i know of, maybe butterflys and some angels will eat them but nothing i know for sure

ordi260

Alrighty!!!

Now im starting to plan my livestock list...

Anyone have suggestions for nice and active colorful fish to start with???

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Vincenzo.

Quote from: Tyler.L on May 01, 2010, 09:21:11 AM
pics 1 and 2 are actually spiroid worms they are good though  nothing to be scared off you can just scrape them off the glass if need be
^actually .. the correct name is Spirorbids. and they Are Feather Dusters :D

Tyler.L

actuallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy i hate you

and what is a feather duster? A Worm!!!!! I Win

salvini55

ordi260

Hey guys...i spotted a small hitchhiker crab yesterday  :o

...the camera wasn't ready so i dont have any pictures... >:(

do you know any good websites where i could browse and try to compare him to online pics...?

He is brown...about the size of a dime, red'ish eyes...

i know it doesnt help a lot but throw me whatever website about hitchhikers you know and ill try to figure it out lol

[li]
    [li]
[/list]