New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Here it is... 20 gallon nano tank build

Started by ordi260, March 17, 2010, 07:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

Red Eyes usually is bad
Pointed claws always bad

I have yet to hear of a non-evil hitchhiker crab.

salvini55

Quote from: RossW on May 07, 2010, 11:17:41 AM
Red Eyes usually is bad
Pointed claws always bad

I have yet to hear of a non-evil hitchhiker crab.

what about acro crabs?  ;D

Vincenzo.

typically acro crabs would be bad. but since they solely live on acro's, they are in a way 'good'. but acro crabs are still a species of xanthid crabs..

beertech

If you get an Acropora coral with the proper "hosting" species of Acro crab, it's a definite win win situation. The crab constantly removes any traces of algae and or damaged or dying tissue. There is usually no reason for the crab to go after living polyps. In return, it gets unlimited food supply and shelter from larger predators. Trying to identify the crab though is next to impossible. I've seen a few living in Acro colonies that have been in the store tanks for a while, and the coral is thriving. If it were a "bad" predatory crab, the coral would be stressed and have little or no polyp extension. I think observing for a while would be best, and give you time to plan it's extraction if it does turn out to be bad. 
Gord

ordi260

I have a picture!!!  I will upload it tonight since im at work right now!!!

The quality is not awesome because i havent had time to adjust the camera properly before he ran away...

Picture to be uploaded tonight :)

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

ordi260

Here is the pic of the little guy!!!  Excuse the ridiculous size...but i dont want to lose details...

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

Severum

Definitely looks like a xanthid crab to me.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

ordi260

What do i do now???

Is my top priority is catching him???  Or it can wait for a little bit before ending up in problems...??

Ill go buy my first fishes tomorrow!

Any ideas on how to catch it ???  What do i do with him after i caught it???

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Rybren

Quote from: ordi260 on May 08, 2010, 09:50:27 PM
What do i do with him after i caught it???

A little garlic, a dab of butter....
120G Reef

Vincenzo.

ordi260

Ok whats the most efficient way to catch him???

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Vincenzo.

look up bottle trap.
or
spear him with a sish-ka-bob skewer

ordi260

Ok and once trapped what can i do with him apart killing him???

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Brent Shaver

Would the sump be a possiblity.

Thats just a guess as I dont have salt, but like you dont like killing things.

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

beertech

Absolutely a predator!
I have had the misfortune of having to remove a couple of those monsters from my fully stocked reef. It was not pleasant! They feed on snails, crabs, shrimps and any fish that sleeps in the rockwork. Try to bait and trap it, then when that fails, find out what rock he's in, remove the rock and place in a container or fresh water until he scurries out. Or, in my case, the little bugger still wouldn't come out and I had to split the rock open and forcefully remove him. I forget what they are called exactly, but try googling gorilla crab or rock crab. 
Good luck, maybe someone will take him and throw him in their sump.

JetJumper

I will take him and put him in my sump! :D

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Severum

Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

ordi260

Got him!!!  8)

Tried to scoop him with a net but he felt the water moving each time i tried to get him so i ended up lifting the couple of rocks that he was hiding in...shook the rock very hard on top of paper towels and...poof 2 of them lol!

Now the water is cloudy because i messed around with the rock-scape...  ***lesson learned...ill never ever play with it anymore lol***  -_-

Next time ill set up traps...that was a lot of trouble but its worth it...now they are out (i hope there is no more of them in there...)

ill get fish at the store tomorrow! :)  :D

Thanks for your help everyone

[li]
    [li]
[/list]