New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What does OVAS and the Forum do especially for Kids .....

Started by Saltcreep, September 14, 2010, 11:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

The chat is just an idea and cost nothing takes minutes to setup. It would be password protected and could be made for only a group so a family group could be created (not visible) that is tested before going into the chatroom so only kids with a family membership are permitted. Like I said it was one of several ideas. The idea is to keep an open mind and look at all ideas.

I agree Rob baby steps K.I.S.S. there needs to be a draw in order for them to come.

Yes Nerine kids want to do adults do. My son follows me around and wants to do whatever I am doing. In the fish dept. be gaining intersest in saltwater now but still loves to feed the Malawi tank since they splash him when they feed... LOL

The Bowl Show is OK but last time there was only three entries I was one. A fish I brough suffered from stress for transporting back & forth and within 2 weeks dies... :( Whatever is consider needs to be hands on like this but easy enoug so they are interested and successful. If it is to 'kiddy like' I know some will not get involved. Enough though they are kids like nerine says they want to feel grown-up... :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Nerine

the bowl show is a whole other thread...it's up to you if you want to participate or not and same for the kids...

besides maybe I'm gonna have glow in the dark gravel so don't steal my idea j/k hahaha
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

holachicka

If I remember correctly, there are door prizes for the adults - why not have a door prize for the kiddies as well...we can get a loot bag and have a draw, exclusive to the under 15 (or whatever age that is not old enough to vote) at the end. If this is acceptable to all, I can get a loot bag at the dollarstore and fill it with little "treats" and bring it to the next meeting...thoughts?

Vincenzo.

kids ideas ...

-i really liked the out of the club trip to, mus of nature.
-the fish tank sponsored to a school.
-kiddie door prizes are good idea too.
-maybe organize a trip down the the river.
-maybe organize a trip to a sponsor (if they allow it) to give a behind the sceens of their fishroom, or a little tour of the shop, some quick info on a few fish, something along those lines
-maybe a fish bowl contest just for kids. may it be in person at the meeting, or post it online.
-maybe at the beginning of a meeting - have 20-30min they can introduce their tank(s) and if they have any questions
-or a mini meeting for kids on a beginner setup and proper upkeep of a fish tank^

more ideas to follow

holachicka

ok - seeing how there was no negative feelings towards my idea :) I will go ahead and purchase a loot bag - Like Nerine said to me, kids are so easy to please, something less than $5 worth at the dollarstore can work worders for kids...especially if won by a draw!!

I will keep it simple yet fun. As a little surprise, I will include a little peanut-free goodie in addition to the lootbag :)

dan2x38

Quote from: holachicka on September 23, 2010, 12:53:37 PM
ok - seeing how there was no negative feelings towards my idea :) I will go ahead and purchase a loot bag - Like Nerine said to me, kids are so easy to please, something less than $5 worth at the dollarstore can work worders for kids...especially if won by a draw!!

I will keep it simple yet fun. As a little surprise, I will include a little peanut-free goodie in addition to the lootbag :)

Hey is my ticket included in that draw? ;) LOL Me like Loot!
Voltaire:

Brent Shaver

Just a thought, but what if every time someone under 16 comes to a meeting they are given a ticket, at the end of the year there is a draw for a complete 10 gallon tank or something along those lines.

That way come once come to everyone and they all have a chance to win.  We could right the persons name on the ticket we have for the draw so there is no worries about tickets being lost.

All the other ideas are good as well but I bet there would be nothing better then seeing a young ones eyes light up as they are handed a fish ready tank.

Just an idea..

Saltcreep

A lot of great ideas here to make the kids feel welcome, especially at meetings. I really like the free draw for a tank idea. But, what attracts them to meetings in the first place? Assuming they've discovered OVAS through the website, what is there on the site itself that would want them to hang around and explore?  What's there to entice them to a meeting? I'm sure many of the kids of OVAS, and forum members, have already been coerced into attending a meeting. I'd like to see some of these young people, at least the ones that enjoyed themselves, given a reason to talk to their like-minded friends about checking out the Club and it's website. It would be cool to have those kids tell one of their friends with a Goldfish bowl "You should come over to the OVAS website on Tuesday after school. There's an online chat group just for kids where we can talk about your green tank".

Pie in the sky thinking, I know.

holachicka

Saltcreep - I agree, that would be an awesome idea.

I still think the whole coloring contest at each meeting would be a good idea - and again, there would not be any "losers", each drawing would be a winner and would be scanned at put on ovas.ca - that will give them something fun to do while attending meetings.

Why not add a 10 minute block to each meetings agenda especially for the children and have a on line poll as to what they would like that 10 minute block to be about? (10 minute is just an example, it could be more...)

I know how my 8 yr old LOVES serving people so why not have the kiddies (older ones) "responsible" for handing out the snacks - manning the tables...?! Obvioulsy, for the younger ones, not the coffee ;) but I know both my daughters realy enjoyed helping out in the kitchen during the huge auction earlier this year... This could be a possibility - it's simple yet most children love tending to adults, has them feeling important :)

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

dan2x38

Geeze isn't that called child labour and wasn't it abolished well over 100 years ago at least here? LOL That is actually a great idea. Kids like being helpful. Also having a place for them to post their ideas of what they would like is also a good idea... geeze two great ideas in a row... wow... ;) And not to help your head swell even more but scanning their pictures and posting online is a great idea so three out of three...!

Kids are amazed seeing themselves or something they did online. My son's hockey team I create a website each year. Then write an article for each game and try to name as many of them each time or the next game for sure. They all get nicknames and can't wait until I post it and can't wait to see what their nickname will be. It is better than them scoring they email if I don't get the story up there in time. So articles talking about them and there first name mentioned in an online article would also be cool they love seeing there name's in lights - so to speak!  8)

Could even have a young member do a presentation with a slid show or something like that... There are so many ideas to me it is just take some and start. But you have to stick with it and be patient. One thing with kids is consistency once in place leave it there until it catches on. It will take time that is for certain it will likely not be an over night sensation but baby steps for success.

With all the video games, TV and any other distractions it has to grab them or they loss interest fast - am I right?
Voltaire:

holachicka

I know eh Nerine - they were so cute!

And Dan - thank you sir :D and yes, I agree...children get distracted fairly quickly!

Let's just hope that any one of all these wonderful ideas/suggestions get snatched up and somehow gets implemented!