New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Starfire 79 gallon tank build

Started by charlie, November 09, 2011, 10:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

Quote from: bizfromqc on January 26, 2012, 03:18:52 PM
NOW, weather pressurized CO2 is better than bioavailable organic carbon (or I'm missing something here), it's a total mystery to me. Maybe it's the way to go with small tanks but the scale tips off to pressurized CO2 when one has a bigger tank  ???

CO2 is the way to go for any size tank. It's carbon in the way plants like it best, and it doesn't have the side-effect of melting them.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

exv152

Quote from: charlie on January 26, 2012, 01:32:20 PM
Update: the tank is going along quite good, still a tiny bit of GSA- Green spot algae, but getting there, here a few pics in the FTS the glass is not dirty ;D the plants are pearling causing the streaks in the pic , the close up of 2 of the plants will show the pearling, will post some more close up`s later.
The L144 has bred & they are a few juvies kicking around in the tank , will see how they do in the real world.
Constructive criticism & comments welcome
Regards

Very very nice tank! I have a question for you. You have filter outputs on both sides of the tank and you've added some powerheads as well. Is this to reduce the GSA, or for another reason?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: Stussi613 on January 26, 2012, 01:48:39 PM
It's hard to believe that it's only been 2 months and 11 days since you posted the first FTS of this tank.  Looks like its been running for allot longer.

I want to thank you Erroll, I firmly believe the recent rash of people posting new planted tank builds and the awesome turnout at the meeting this week are directly attributable to your amazing build, your extensive knowledge and your willingness to help anyone in the hobby that asks you for advice. 

You're truly an inspiration to all of us...
Thanks for those kind remarks Stuart, the truth is i learn just as much from helping as i hope others do from me helping, to me that`s what a hobby is about.
I also look at it as paying forward, i was fortunate that when i found OVAS the guys around were very helpful & is/was into the hobby purely as a hobbyist no one wanted fame or fortune the club was great to me back then, it`s something i try to emulate.
Thanks again

charlie

Quote from: pm on January 26, 2012, 02:02:06 PM
Geez Errol, you are killing me!

Love the overall shape it has taken on.  How did you get the cherry shrimp to wagon-train coming down the wood branch?

Thanks Peter, the Cherry shrimp are well trained  :)it`s being a long journey but they have finally got it  ;D.
From what i see you are doing just as good with your tank you have my bad habit of re arranging things often ;D.
Regards Errol

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on January 26, 2012, 02:08:57 PM
x2

That's coming along real nice. Almost makes me wanna switch the substrate.

I especially love those cardinal tetra stickers that you put all over the front glass. Where did you find those?

;D

Thanks Robert, you guys play a big role in this addiction of mine, it`s a good thing i`m not a drinker or smoker  ;D.
Those Cardinal stickers came from Aquainspiration with the tank - check out their store gallery picture  ;D
http://www.aquainspiration.com/galleryd.asp?gname=AI Store&iname=AQUA INSPIRATION STORE VIEW&gtype=N
Errol

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on January 26, 2012, 04:50:11 PM
Very very nice tank! I have a question for you. You have filter outputs on both sides of the tank and you've added some powerheads as well. Is this to reduce the GSA, or for another reason?
Hey Eric ( exv0 - the 2 glass Lilly pipes are from 2 eheim filters & the one in the middle of the tank on the back pane is the return from the CO2 inline diffuser which is driven by an Eheim pump, all to try & get good flow, since the tank is densely planted.
Thanks for you kind comments & questions.
Errol
Biz ( Eric)  :D
Robert has provided the answer that i agree with.Pressurized CO2 is the way to go, apart from the up front cost, there nothing that comes near to it`s pros.
Regards

charlie

some more pics from the tank

salvini55

just beautiful Errol.

Its really taking off, great work

Darth

Quote from: salvini55 on January 27, 2012, 03:08:53 AM
just beautiful Errol.

You really have to see his tanks in person, the pics don't do them any kind of justice, I had the pleasure of meeting errol a few days ago, and have seen his pics and what not but man seeing them in person is awe inspiring, his tanks are truly a work of art

Peekay

Gorgeous as always! 

Errol, can you mark plant names on one of your pictures?  Circle and number clumps and then provide a listing of what's in there?  It would be super useful for newbs like me to start recognizing (and coveting) some of the interesting plants out there.

charlie

Quote from: Darth on January 27, 2012, 06:54:45 AM
You really have to see his tanks in person, the pics don't do them any kind of justice, I had the pleasure of meeting errol a few days ago, and have seen his pics and what not but man seeing them in person is awe inspiring, his tanks are truly a work of art
Quote from: salvini55 on January 27, 2012, 03:08:53 AM
just beautiful Errol.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Regards

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on January 27, 2012, 08:23:08 AM
Gorgeous as always! 

Errol, can you mark plant names on one of your pictures?  Circle and number clumps and then provide a listing of what's in there?  It would be super useful for newbs like me to start recognizing (and coveting) some of the interesting plants out there.

Thanks Benda, that`s a good idea, i will do so later.
Errol

pm

Errol, would you mind posting your fertilizing routine?  I know you use a modified EI approach, so I assume you are using the following as a starting point:

60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

Thanks

charlie

Quote from: pm on January 27, 2012, 11:11:00 AM
Errol, would you mind posting your fertilizing routine?  I know you use a modified EI approach, so I assume you are using the following as a starting point:

60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

Thanks
Sure , note that my tweaking is based on my tanks reaction to dosing so each tank is different, if you look @ the suggested doing routine as laid out by the EI system they give you a +/- before every suggestion , sometimes we miss that part & think the suggestion is set in stone.
Also i`m still tweaking as i go along but here is where i`m at with this tank at present, all Macro dosed dry & unit measurements are teaspoon, i will use the full name of each salt for the benefit of everone & not to sound like a chemist ;D
Nitrates- 5/16  daily( 7 days & alternating between Potassium Nitrates & Calcium Nitrates) as pointed out By Fischkopp our water is bit  short of calcium
Potassium Phosphates -1/8 daily
Magnesium - via Epsom Salts - 1/16 daily
Seachem Equilibrium( GH Booster) 1 Tablespoon @ water change
Traces - 5 ML daily of CSM mix with water  @ 3 teaspoon per 250 ml of distilled water
Water change - 70-80% weekly
I Will likely switch to Tropica plant Nutrition sometime in the future if anyone wants to split on a 5L bottles ( approx. 120.00)
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/plant-nutrition-formerly-mastergrow-liter-p-6101.html?osCsid=9iukkg4gscfh7vncti280api61
Regards

exv152

Quote from: charlie on January 27, 2012, 11:40:07 AM...I Will likely switch to Tropica plant Nutrition sometime in the future if anyone wants to split on a 5L bottles ( approx. 120.00)
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/plant-nutrition-formerly-mastergrow-liter-p-6101.html?osCsid=9iukkg4gscfh7vncti280api61
Regards

Hey Errol, Which planted tank expert have you found the most inspiration in, Takashi Amano, Tom Barr, Oliver Knott, George Farmer, Walstad, or anyone else??? Very curious.
;)

BTW, I also found aquariumsupplies.ca a really good deal for one of the best liquid fertilizers on the market, I'd be interested a bit down the road as I'm well stocked up for now with the seachem flourish supplement.

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on January 27, 2012, 11:44:14 AM
Hey Errol, Which planted tank expert have you found the most inspiration in, Takashi Amano, Tom Barr, Oliver Knott, George Farmer, Walstad, or anyone else??? Very curious.
;)

BTW, I also found aquariumsupplies.ca a really good deal for one of the best liquid fertilizers on the market, I'd be interested a bit down the road as I'm well stocked up for now with the seachem flourish supplement.

Hi Eric, if i had to pick them in order , i would have to say Tom Barr, George Farmer, Oliver Knott, Takashi Amaon, Walstad.
The reason for me is the style & presence of Tom Barr suits me, he put`s his theory out there with scientific data & dares anyone to challenge it, so far i have not seen anyone do so successfully.
They are all very good, but the latter 2 has less of an impact on me since their styles are less complementing to what i practice, although i think Amano has influenced all in his aquascaping skill.
I have used Tropica Plant Nutrition in the past until the price went insane here in North America( 200.00+ for a 5L) now its back to a somewhat reasonable price,although  not close to Seachem.
Regards

exv152

Quote from: charlie on January 27, 2012, 01:07:11 PM
...i would have to say Tom Barr...The reason for me is the style & presence of Tom Barr suits me, he put`s his theory out there with scientific data & dares anyone to challenge it, so far i have not seen anyone do so successfully...

It's hard to argue with the knowledge of an academic horticulturalist, and not to mention a guy who put EI out there that has saved many. I should have guessed Tom Barr judging by your style, plant layouts, lights etc. Where did you get the Tonina sp. fluviatilis from?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on January 27, 2012, 02:20:50 PM
It's hard to argue with the knowledge of an academic horticulturalist, and not to mention a guy who put EI out there that has saved many. I should have guessed Tom Barr judging by your style, plant layouts, lights etc. Where did you get the Tonina sp. fluviatilis from?
From another member here.
Regards

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on January 27, 2012, 08:23:08 AM
Gorgeous as always! 

As requested
(1) Rotala sp green
(2) Java Fern
(3) Ludwiga Arcuata
(4) Tonina sp. fluviatilis
(5) Ludwigia Glandulosa
(6) Eriocaulon Setaceum. --" see Classifieds"
(7) Proserpinaca palustris ''Cuba'' - colour shoud be more intense , but location does not allow the most intense lighting to do so, this is intentional for contrast, as it gets closer to the surface it will go darker.
(8) Blyxa Japonica
(9) Anubias nana
(10) well what can i say  :)i can`t count & type ;D - i missed the # 10
(11) sagittaria lilaeopsis 9 likely the next plant to exit the tank
(12)Tonina Belem - " see classifieds"(13) Pogostemon helferi -" see Classifieds"

sas

Great job, thanks for taking the time to do this, much
appreciated by a newb like me.