New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Santa tank - 59G -

Started by Peekay, January 03, 2012, 09:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheebs

Woah, I haven't checked this thread since you started the tank up. I must say I'm pretty blown away! I love it :)

Peekay

Quote from: Chubs on February 17, 2012, 12:16:40 PM
Woah, I haven't checked this thread since you started the tank up. I must say I'm pretty blown away! I love it :)

Thank you for such kind words!  Now check back more often, ya hear?   ;)

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

touchofsky

bizfromqc

Very nice looking tank, good job  :)

DaWolfe

Peekay

charlie

i`m enjoying watching this tank come together, good job.
Errol

bettabreeder

Awesome looking tank!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peekay

Well, we have hit a small snag in this tank.

When I picked up the neons, they were not in stunning physical condition.  There were many with very mild fin damage.  I figured that it was fish store overcrowding/not ideal water, nothing that being in our tank couldn't fix. 

Over the weeks, one was culled because he was very clearly sick, and I wasn't going to medicate 60G for one.  None of them got much worse, but none were getting better either.  This week, I noticed a definite increase in fin damage.  Sooooo....

Today I moved all of the neons to a 10G hospital tank, and started Maracyn treatment... not exactly living the MTS dream over here. 
  :(

Monte

Sorry to hear about your Neons but your tank looks great.
40 Gallon Breeder

exv152

Quote from: Peekay on March 07, 2012, 05:22:41 PM
Well, we have hit a small snag in this tank.

When I picked up the neons, they were not in stunning physical condition.  There were many with very mild fin damage.  I figured that it was fish store overcrowding/not ideal water, nothing that being in our tank couldn't fix.  

Over the weeks, one was culled because he was very clearly sick, and I wasn't going to medicate 60G for one.  None of them got much worse, but none were getting better either.  This week, I noticed a definite increase in fin damage.  Sooooo....

Today I moved all of the neons to a 10G hospital tank, and started Maracyn treatment... not exactly living the MTS dream over here.    :(

If you've identified the ailment as being finrot then you'll have to treat the bacterial infection with aquarium salt and preferrably antibiotics. Nice tank by the way.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

I sure hope they get better soon! I'd miss them form my tank if they got sick. They are awesome! I guess they're going to get hotel treatment at the hospital.. ample feeding :) I sure hope they get better!

Peekay

Eric, (exv152!) I was going to look into the salts.. need to look up dosing.  And it's ok to use with Maracyn?

QuoteI sure hope they get better soon! I'd miss them form my tank if they got sick.

I do miss them Rah!  My huge tank is empty!  A few otos and a couple bloodfins kicking around.  I've been waiting to add stock until the neons were in perfect shape, so it's a ghost town in there.

In happier news, I will be getting some plants tomorrow that have been on my list forever!  Yay!  Some anubias nana petite, that will go in front of the driftwood.  I've been saving that spot for them.  ;)

exv152

Quote from: Peekay on March 07, 2012, 08:30:46 PM
Eric, (exv152!) I was going to look into the salts.. need to look up dosing.  And it's ok to use with Maracyn?
...In happier news, I will be getting some plants tomorrow that have been on my list forever!  Yay!  Some anubias nana petite, that will go in front of the driftwood.  I've been saving that spot for them.  ;)

It's safe to use salts and antibiotics at the same time.  But I wouldn't use them if you have any snails, shrimp or plants in the tank. Hope your fish get better soon!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

Some new inhabitants!  Animal and vegetable.  ;)

We picked up 4 kuhli loaches at BA's.  Just cause they're really weird, and really appealing to an eight year old.  (ok, I think they're a bit fascinating too.)  Found this guy eating snail eggs.  He can stay!  And holy cow macro is unforgiving of 'dirtiness'.  Please excuse the mess.

kuhli loach Mar 16 by Peeka2, on Flickr

The vegetable inhabitant is not as cool.  Posting a thread looking for an ID, but posting here for journalling purposes too.  This stuff is choking out this mauritania lilaeopsis's valiant struggle for life.  I brush it off as best I can, vacuum it out... argh.

ID? by Peeka2, on Flickr

Neons are still in the hospital, antibiotic cycle is done, now waiting for fully healed fins before bringing them back.

touchofsky

I love your loaches!  They are such neat fish.  I had two weather loaches for many years and just lost one to what I believe was cancer a few months ago.  They became very tame with me, and were so funny when they would bury themselves in the gravel with just their heads sticking out.  Your 8 year old made a good choice  :)

exv152

Quote from: Peekay on March 16, 2012, 10:30:05 AMThe vegetable inhabitant is not as cool.  Posting a thread looking for an ID, but posting here for journalling purposes too.  This stuff is choking out this mauritania lilaeopsis's valiant struggle for life.  I brush it off as best I can, vacuum it out... argh.

Especially like the loach, nice pictures. The algae is cladophora, most common causes are low nutrients and/or co2.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

April update! 

I don't have any pictures from March because I was frustrated with the algae situation, the neon fin issues, and the sick humans in my house.   ;)

I think I've turned the corner on the algae.  The Excel dosing is helping, and I've added 3 amano shrimp.. the coolest looking algae eating machines that you can get!  I love watching their little claws grabbing a pebble, turning it and using at least 4 different legs to shove the algae into their mouth.  So cool.  Also love when they decide to do some swimming. 

People responded well to my more aesthetic cabinet transformation, so here's a pic of the whole thing in situ... picked up the shelves at Ikea, in the as-is.  Love. 

Full room by Peeka2, on Flickr

Here's the tank as it is today.  Moved the filter back to the middle to improve flow.   You can still see some algae strands, I'm due for a cleaning, but wanted to grab some pics anyway.  I don't like the left side:  think I want to move the rotala behind the wood now that the sword is gaining some volume.  Think I'll add another var. of crypt where the blyxa is.  Any other ideas?  And any ideas why is my val topping out at about 13cm tall?

April by Peeka2, on Flickr

New kids... guppies.  Keith wants baby fish, and this is the easiest way to do it.  Then we had had a conversation about 'gonopodium', sperm, eggs, how the sperm gets to the eggs.  And what sexy means!   :)  What a cool way to begin this kind of conversation.

April guppies by Peeka2, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! 

daworldisblack

Woah Brenda, you're taking this to a whole new level!! I like the whole set-up! Maybe your calling is in fishroom-interior-design :p I was thinking of doing something Zen-Inspired for my aquarium as well. Next project :) I like how the tank is coming along for a low-tech setup. Slow but steady growth it seems! I recommend some Crypt Blassii to beef up the plant mass. Nice broad leaves and a different colour to add to your current combo :) As well if the vals aren't doing it fo you, maybe the Crypt Balansae might fill the void - available in green and bronze :) I saw them at Big Al's west last i was there a few weeks ago.