New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

120G Planted Tank

Started by Shawn84, July 12, 2013, 09:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn84

A little update on the tank. The tiger lotus I have is growing nicely small and compact. I guess this is due to the strong lighting from the sun and the T5HO. All the crypt are growing and seeing new leaf after some had melted away. The only plant where I don't see anything is the crypt prava. Blyxa is turning a bit brownish red on the leave on some of them. Don't know is its due to the high light or water parameter. Life stock still healthy and eating well. Algae is is 30% gone still about 70% left.

A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

daworldisblack

Quote from: Shawn84 on August 23, 2013, 09:43:58 AM
A little update on the tank. The tiger lotus I have is growing nicely small and compact. I guess this is due to the strong lighting from the sun and the T5HO. All the crypt are growing and seeing new leaf after some had melted away. The only plant where I don't see anything is the crypt prava. Blyxa is turning a bit brownish red on the leave on some of them. Don't know is its due to the high light or water parameter. Life stock still healthy and eating well. Algae is is 30% gone still about 70% left.

Nice progress! Blyxia does get brownish red under higher light so you def have a high-light tank!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Dxpert

Time for some new pictures Shawn?

I've had trouble keeping Oto's from BigAl's in Kanata. They had hundreds in three different tanks from their last shipment - I didn't wait a few weeks before buying like Charlie suggests. I'm planning to try again with 10-15 this time, where would you recommend I buy from?

-Mike

Shawn84

I will take a pic later on today or sometime this week. As for where i find the store on Innes has better stocking in term otto. Looking for ones that is actively and tummy are either flat or round and not sunkin in. Look for any damage fins. And most of all ask them when did they got them in. The guy who sold me my otto was exetremly nice and told me they had issues in one of there tank with the otto and they didnt sold any from that tank.

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....

exv152

Quote from: Shawn84 on August 23, 2013, 09:43:58 AM

Shawn are you running all eight t5ho bulbs at once? If so I would recommend cutting that back to four, and hanging the fixture at least 30" from the substrate. Should help in the algae battle.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Shawn84

Nope I'm running 4 at most. Its mainly due to the nature sun light that is coming from the windows as the blind company haven't finish doing the print design on the blinds it self. So each day the tank get about 4-5 hours of sun light.   
A bunch a fishes.....

Shawn84

Here's a video I took of the tank earlier today.

http://youtu.be/EmH1gc_qoAQ

A bunch a fishes.....

lepageg

Hi Shawn,

I'm going through the same process as you but because conditions in my tank were not stable, opted to move my angels out until things were under control.

Couple of questions, how long has your tank been setup now, and have you noticed any significant rise in ammonia or nitrite since.  And if so how high and how long?  where does your Ph sit? is it stable or does it flutter?

cheers!

Shawn84

Quote from: lepageg on August 30, 2013, 02:45:02 AM
Hi Shawn,

I'm going through the same process as you but because conditions in my tank were not stable, opted to move my angels out until things were under control.

Couple of questions, how long has your tank been setup now, and have you noticed any significant rise in ammonia or nitrite since.  And if so how high and how long?  where does your Ph sit? is it stable or does it flutter?

cheers!

The tank been up and running for 3 months now. I didn't do any testing on my water. My 2 filter are well seeded before adding to the tank. So cycling wise it was reduced to minimum. Also plant were added from my other tank so it carry bacteria over. I did not add a lot of fish in at the beginning but enough to sustain the bacteria. Just take your time since you are keeping wild altum angel. I find them not hard to keep after the initial first month of bring it home.  If you can manage to keep them alive that long. You should be fine. Also if picking up from the store make sure the fish stay in there tank for atlease 2 week. The longer the better. 
A bunch a fishes.....

cdylnicki

Hi Shawn,

I am curious to see how things are going in the tank.

Did you end up with any health issues in your fish?

What was the survival rate?

Any updated picts?

Shawn84

Sorry been busy with work and stuff. The tank is up and running for almost I think 7 months now. All plant and fish are doing good. Some die off of the oto cat but still have around 55-57 left. I started using liquid fert to help with plant growth. Will take a picture soon and post it up.

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....

charlie

Quote from: Shawn84 on January 10, 2014, 02:56:04 AM
Sorry been busy with work and stuff. The tank is up and running for almost I think 7 months now. All plant and fish are doing good. Some die off of the oto cat but still have around 55-57 left. I started using liquid fert to help with plant growth. Will take a picture soon and post it up.

Shawn
Where is the pictures Shawn?

wrm130

angelcraze

Hi, just here to remind you we are all waiting for pics, we all want to know how your tank is doing.........updates ready yet?
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

fischkopp

Exactly! Where are the pics?!? If we don't get to see some soon I will have to come over with my camera! :P

The tank looks pretty nice actually. ;)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Shawn84

Quote from: fischkopp on May 15, 2014, 11:23:07 PM
Exactly! Where are the pics?!? If we don't get to see some soon I will have to come over with my camera! :P

The tank looks pretty nice actually. ;)

I will take you up on this Robert. Since i'm no photographer.

A bunch a fishes.....