New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Quick lighting question

Started by PuddleDuck, February 24, 2007, 09:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuddleDuck

Can I throw a compact florescent bulb into my regular fixture (a hagen canopy light)? I'd like to have some decent plants for once!  ;D

Just seeing if I can get away with just the bulbs  ;)

Thanks!

charlie

Quote from: PuddleDuck on February 24, 2007, 09:21:58 AM
Can I throw a compact florescent bulb into my regular fixture (a hagen canopy light)? I'd like to have some decent plants for once!  ;D

Thanks!
No , the Ballast & end caps ( tips ) are different. They are retro kits available & DIY parts available @ some lighting stores in Ottawa
Regards

PuddleDuck

:P Not the answer I was hoping for!

Thanks!

gonzobluefuzz

Bulbs only nope : :'( sorry...If yer somewhat handy you could try a mod kit and upgrade your fixture. http://www.ahsupply.com/ might be a place to look

g

PuddleDuck

Thanks!

Im thinking I might want to just buy the whole shebang so I can use the lights on another tank now...

I was looking at the compact fluorescents because I dont like that the T5 fixtures are so far above the tank. I dont want an open top on the tank and my couch sits blow the lights (if you know what I mean) so I'd be looking at the tank and looking into lights.

Is there an advantage to either T5 or CP?
If I get a T5 setup does it have to sit to far above the tank or can I sit the lights right on the glass?

I was looking at this, thoughts are appreciated.
http://www.petsandponds.com/securestore/c293075p16873717.2.html

Adding, the T5 are cheaper on this site than the CP....so I'd like to go cheap if I can!

charlie

Quote from: PuddleDuck on February 24, 2007, 09:55:53 AM
Thanks!

Im thinking I might want to just buy the whole shebang so I can use the lights on another tank now...

I was looking at the compact fluorescents because I dont like that the T5 fixtures are so far above the tank. I dont want an open top on the tank and my couch sits blow the lights (if you know what I mean) so I'd be looking at the tank and looking into lights.

Is there an advantage to either T5 or CP?
If I get a T5 setup does it have to sit to far above the tank or can I sit the lights right on the glass?

I was looking at this, thoughts are appreciated.
http://www.petsandponds.com/securestore/c293075p16873717.2.html

Adding, the T5 are cheaper on this site than the CP....so I'd like to go cheap if I can!

Those lights have multiple ways of mounting them, the can sit on top of the glass as well, btw that is good price for the fixture & bulbs, Superpet is selling the fixture without the bulbs foe 169.99 the Hagen bulbs are another 50.00 each approx, but there are cheaper bulbs available.
Regards

PuddleDuck

Thats good to know- its free shipping too  ;D

PuddleDuck

ok before I blow 200$ on this- I should have no problem growing happy healthy plants with these?

charlie

Quote from: PuddleDuck on February 24, 2007, 10:20:20 AM
ok before I blow 200$ on this- I should have no problem growing happy healthy plants with these?
What is the size of the tank ? also depends on other factors , type of plants ( light requirement), nutrients ect.
Regards

PuddleDuck

80g.

Also, with a T5 double fixture its 54 watts per bulb x 2 = 108watts on my 80 gallon. This doesnt sound like a lot. I *think* my regular florescents on there now are 65 watt x 2. I'm hoping for the price that I'm missing something!  ???

Thsanks for all your help  ;D

pitabread

There's a lot of factors in rigging up lighting.  Dimensions of the tank, type of reflectors used, type of lighting (T5 and PC are good).  Not to mention what plants you want.

150 watts would probably be a decent low-medium light setup.  150-250 watts for higher lighting.  Note that are higher light levels, you'll be wanting to inject CO2 and dose with ferts.  Otherwise, you're inviting algae problems.

FWIW, I have 125 watts on my 48 gallon tank (2x30W T8, 1x65W Power Compact) with a polished aluminium reflector, pressurized CO2 and regular fert dosing.  I haven't had too much trouble growing most plants in those conditions.

PoisonJello

I have noticed a lot of people say you need so many watts for the size of tank but doesn't that depend of the type of fixture you are going to use

T5, T8, T12, etc.. for instance the T5 is lower watts but they put out just as much light as the higher watt T8, T12, etc. (or at least that is what i have been told by CFI, you know the company that makes most light fixtures) so doesn't that make the watts chart a bit wrong, or maybe thats just my way of thinking

better example: a normal bulb is 60 watts but the energy saver bulb is only 13 watts for the same amount of light

so doesn't that mean the amount of watts you need depends on the type of fixture you want to use

PoisonJello

Quote from: PuddleDuck on February 24, 2007, 09:21:58 AM

Thanks!
when you say regular fixture if you mean an incandesent fixture then yes you could use energy saver bulbs which some people call compact florescent

kennyman

Quote from: PoisonJello on February 24, 2007, 04:12:16 PM
I have noticed a lot of people say you need so many watts for the size of tank but doesn't that depend of the type of fixture you are going to use

It does to some extent. Lumen rating for bulbs will help you to see the difference between the types. But you also have to factor in the spectrum for how much PAR you get out of the lumen as well. It is a mess that is sometimes better left alone. I was told this buy an experienced aquatic horticulturist a year or two ago and am finally begining to grasp how problematic trying to use Lumen to rate lighting really is  ::)

pitabread

Quote from: PoisonJello on February 24, 2007, 04:12:16 PM
so doesn't that mean the amount of watts you need depends on the type of fixture you want to use

Oh definitely.  As I said, you have to factor in type of lighting/bulbs, type of reflectors, distance from tank, height from tank.

That's why watts alone is just a suggested range.  It can take a bit of trail 'n error.  Best thing to do is start with X amount of light, see how the plants do, then add more if needed.

PuddleDuck

BigDaddy

Yes, that is more than enough light for most plants.  You'll definately need a CO2 setup if you intend to run that over your 80 gallon ...

charlie

Quote from: PuddleDuck on March 05, 2007, 07:35:06 PM
How about this?

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=14829.msg112611;boardseen#new

would this be good for growing plants?
the Actinic bulbs wont be too helpful in growing plants.
Regards

PuddleDuck

Thanks guys.

Why the CO2 setup? I ran one years ago but had a disaster and have been afraid of them since...Im just wondering why better lighting will require one.

garnpet

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><