New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

(Pic Added) DIY CO2 question

Started by PuddleDuck, March 07, 2007, 10:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuddleDuck

So I had a CO2 setup that failed miserably and killed all my fish (my father set it up for me). I'm going to give it another shot- I asked him about fixing it and this was the response I got:

"The issue with the CO2 isn't so much a "fixing" thing as a design thing. Basically the idea as it stands doesn't work, because it doesn't properly regulate the amount of gas going into the water. There needs to be some sort of metering mechanism that can parcel out units of gas in a reliable way."

I realize its hard to know whats going on without knowing how its built, but can I buy some part to regulate the distribution? I think last time we likely just turned the nozzle to the desired release, but then 2 days later I came home to the thing on full blast and a tank full of dead fish. Not going to try this again without a metering part.

BigDaddy

Are you talking about a pressurized CO2 canister... or the Do It Yourself yeast and sugar method?

gonna_b_no_1

I must hear more about this sugary yeast thing...

bought a diy set up at auction...still have yet to do anything with it cuz i am uneducated when it comes to co2!

Zoe

DIY sugar-and-yeast is easy.
Fill the bottle with 1.5 litres of warm water, and 2 cups of sugar. Shake it up or let it sit till the sugar disolves, then add 1 teaspoon of baker's yeast and close the bottle.  Then you have to put the airline in the tank and attach it to something that will break up the bubbles. E-bay has lots, look up "CO2 diffuser".
You can't really regulate the CO2, or stop it at night, but there isn't really enough CO2 coming out that it would hurt your fish.

However I think the poster was refering to pressurized CO2 and in that case I appologize for hijacking :)

Adam

It depends on how big the CO2 reactor is...

If it's one of those small canisters that came with it, there will be benefit, but very little because of the small hlding capacity.  I think Zoe was referring to a 2L bottle with a hole drilled in the top with airline tubing coming out when she was talking about 1.5L of water... Fill whatever container you are using with water to about 3/4 of the way up. 

I think the main question was about pressurized CO2.  You'll need a regulator to put on the cylinder to regulate how much flow.  A bubble counter will tell you how much CO2 is coming out.  Just opening it enough to let some CO2 out will not be very accurate and is what killed your fish... THere are a few different varieties, but it is that piece with two needle indicators that goes onto the outlet of the cylinder...

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

PuddleDuck

Its a bigish pressurized tank- about the size of a home-use fire extinguiser (maybe a smidge bigger).

I think it has a thinger on with a needle to show how much is coming out, but theres nothing on it preventing fluxes I guess.

charlie

Can you post a picture ( close up).

PuddleDuck

I wont have it til Sunday, but I will then.

BigDaddy

The device that controls the final output to your tank is called the needle valve.  Don't skimp on a good quality needle valve.  It will save you a lot of heartache.  Clippard is the one most people use... the ones that come with Milwaukee regulators don't even come close to how good a Clippard is ...

And most needle valves will only work well if your output PSI is above 20lbs.. anything less than that and it might seal shut... until too much pressure builds up...

PuddleDuck

Ok...will a clippard do that?

BigDaddy

Will a clippard do what.. I guess I missed something ;)

PuddleDuck

Build up pressure and then "explode"  :D

mila

Quote from: PuddleDuck on March 07, 2007, 10:46:38 PM
Build up pressure and then "explode"  :D
No, it will slow down the output gradually, so you have to adjust it often(every few days)
If you have more pressure, it runs without adjustment for months (mine does)

PuddleDuck

Ok, this is what I've got.

charlie

Hi puddleduck, from the picture it appears you have a solenoid already ( thats the thing where the electrical cord is coming from), you need a needle valve just before the brass piece where the tubing connects to, the needle valve will allow you to fine tune the co2 delivery to the tank, see link & picture below.
Regards

http://www.rexgrigg.com/needle.jpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

PuddleDuck

Ok- so I need a clipprd needle valve.

Do they sell those at canadian tire or home depot?

Also, ~how much is it to fill a tank? I have my lights on there, so I need to get on it!  :)

Thanks!  ;D

charlie

No you would not get them @ Home Depot or Canadiantire, you would need the part # ,maybe BD can provide this, &then check these guys out
http://www.clippard.com/
or you can buy it here
http://www.rexgrigg.com/sale.html
BTW Clippard is no longer in Ottawa.
Regards

PuddleDuck