New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Julidochromis dickfeldi

Started by Troy, January 25, 2004, 05:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I decided a year ago to try putting a small group of juvenile Tangs in a 30 gal plant tank of mine. I was thinking of shell dwellers but started with 5 dickfeld's an AC-300 Lots of Java fern, 3 small pots a nice variety of cichlid foods, small weekly water changes of about 35%. My problem is no pair has formed.

I did not want to change the tank dynamics too much so; I did the usual water changes and gave them a proper diet hoping with time things would work them selves out. I have paused water changes then done a large ones, changed lighting conditions, played with the water temp adjusting it up to a recommended high of 80F. I have only one small Corydoras in the tank and he knows to stay away from the dickfeld's. I had the largest female jump out during the summer and the next lone female is living in the tank with 3 males. They have not paired up and having watched the tank for hours, I realize the female has a favored pot she resides in.
The smallest male is definitely not a contender for he stays in a small corner content to define his small space in the tank waiting for another female. I have contemplated removing 1 or 2 of the males or trying different pots, or more severe water changes. I am looking for a few suggestions to get a pair and then see them spawn. Thanks for your time. Cheers..... Troy  :)