New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

African Cichlid ID question

Started by james, February 02, 2004, 02:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

Hi African Cichlid fans
I picked p quite a few different AF in Mtl . I was hoping if any of you would know any info on Pseudotropheus Johanni. ie what size they grow etc. Are they the ones that the male turns dark during maturity. They are all yellow now and are 1 1/2 in. I would appreicate any source where I can get any info on them
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

ambushman2j

Pseudotropheus Johanni?  Are you sure you don't mean Melanchromis Johanni? .. if it's melanchromis johanni yes, the females are yellow and the males turn purple, where as a closely related fish Melanchromis Maingano or Electric Blue Johanni in stores the male and female are both purple

james

Hi
The bag is labelled PS Johanna.These are 5 months old. If its what you say it is when do the fish turn colour
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus

ambushman2j

Johanna?..never heard of those..if it's johanni I have noted them changing colours around 1 1/2" mark

james

Hi
Sorry for the spelling yes its P.S. Johanni They are yellow 1 1/2 inches with a tinge of black on the top fin
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus

ambushman2j

well if they are melanchromis johanni, you can expect males to change purple soon..if not I have no idea, we have some at sp merivale that are that size right now if you really can't find out, you can compare to see if they are infact the same fish

ambushman2j

the 2nd site you mentioned doesn't seem very good, it has some facts that are WAYY off .. good pictures tho, the problem we are having is identifying if infact the sellers PS johanni is infact PS or is it melanchromis