New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Wintering koi loosing weight?

Started by Fishnut, November 20, 2008, 07:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

My koi have been in the Garage since we had that dumping of snow a month ago.  The temperature in hte pond has been generally in the zone where I would be able to feed them the low protien foods, but the day that I decided to feed them, they didn't take much interest in it.  I haven't fed them since.  I checked on them the other day and noticed one of the normally plump fish is looking not so plump.  It's not skinny, but not nice and fat.  I wasn't expecting weight loss, so should I be worried?  We still have 3 or 4 months of cold to get through!

KLKelly

I would post on koivet if you are concerned.  How is their poop? (I hate asking but it says a lot).  They should be maintaining weight not losing this early.

sas

We "PraziPro" and salt our Koi spring and fall every year when moving them in and out of their pond.

Having said that I'm not sure whats going on with your koi, but checking their feces is going to be tough since you haven't been feeding them and their metabolism has slowed down drastically.
I personally would also be concerned if he's losing weight this early.
Any signs of red streaking on the body or fins?

Sorry can't be of more help :(.

Fishnut

Yeah...I haven't noticed any poop.  There's nothing I can see that's wrong with the fish at all.  Scales look good, fins are up, no streaking to be seen...although the find are black.  It's the koi who eats the most and grew the most over this past summer.  Since my pond was one of those rubbermaid tubs meant for watering livestock, they're in the same pond as they were outside, but in the garage.  They didn't have much to get accustomed to other than 30 minutes in a giant bucket while I moved their pond inside.

:-\  I suppose I could add a heater and feed them.  I think I should have been feeding them when the water was warm enoough.  It's already been 6 or 7 weeks since they last ate...other than the one time I decided to feed them.  Perhaps I was over cautious and stopped feeding too early  :-\

sas, why do you praziPro your fish twice a year?  Are they sick?  I didn't think fish were supposed to be medicated unless they were sick because of immunity purposes.  I can understand salt because of it's healing and slime coating help and general "feel good" properties.

KLKelly

Prazi pro is only good for gill/skin flukes not for internal parasites though.  I also prazi my fish based on a US vets treatment recommendation which is much more extensive than manufacturer instructions.  The vets did follow up testing via gill snips and devised a treatment protocol.

The others aren't losing weight though?  I still would get koi advice from koi experts.  Maybe a round of metromeds/metro gelfood or antiparasite food would be recommended.

bergenm

I am no expert, but here is my opinion...

When the temperature outside drops the koi's metabolism slows dramatically so they are able to go for extended periods of time without food.

By bringing them into the garage, you warmed the water, this in turn increased their metabolism. As there was no food available they started to burn off their fat reserves and re-absorb any eggs they had. If they do not have fat or eggs to burn they will start to waste away.

If your are keeping them in the garage, I would normally recommend that you monitor the water temperature, when it is above 10C I would sparingly feed them  low protein food. Keep an eye on the weather network and stop feeding 48 hours before a cold spell.

Personally, I would move them into the basement (against and exterior wall) for the winter they are far easier to maintain as the water stays around 15C.

I would also not recommend treating for parasites right now as they will be in a weakened state and it might be very hard on their organs.

Good luck.
Michael

sas

[quote author=Fishnut link=topic=32084.msg205615#msg205615 date=1227271980

sas, why do you praziPro your fish twice a year?  Are they sick?  I didn't think fish were supposed to be medicated unless they were sick because of immunity purposes.  I can understand salt because of it's healing and slime coating help and general "feel good" properties.
[/quote]

Well, Our pond is visited by all manner of animals during the summer, including birds that leave droppings, raccoons,cats,dogs,as well as other insects. Therefore I feel treating in the fall is essential.
I've recently started to make my own food for the pond crew,to remove any chance of infestation from commercial foods, so I'm hoping to eliminate that spring treatment.

Quote from: KLKelly on November 21, 2008, 09:56:12 AM
Prazi pro is only good for gill/skin flukes not for internal parasites though. 

This is the product that I was referring to.....http://uskoi.com/prazipro.htm    KLKelly.

Tough call to make as to what to do with your guy.

If it was me I'd bring them in, as bergenm suggested. That way you could monitor them and treat accordingly.

I am no expert either :-\, just giving a suggestion that has worked for us. Isn't that what this site is about?

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Fishnut

I decided not to worry about it.  It's not skinny...just not fat.  They're so cold that their barley moving so I decided it would be too much stress on the fish to warm up by moving it inside and to put it back out in the freezing cold when I am satisfied with the weight loss.  I'll keep an eye on them over the winter, but I'm not going to do anything drastic until spring.