New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Separate FW and SW classifieds

Started by archie, January 31, 2009, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archie

Was just a thought but i believe looking through the classified adds would be easier if they were split into freshwater and saltwater adds.  there is alot of posting on that board and it would be way faster if i only had to deal with the SW posts......

Cheebs

Could work but it might be complicated..  I guess if it was possible to make two checkboxes, one to post in the saltwater section, and one to post in the freshwater section, then you could click both if what you're selling needs to be posted in both forums. I don't find it too bad though, usually the most recent ads float around the first page until they are sold.

Hookup

what about selling items like tanks, pumps, cleaning equipment, etc that is mixed fresh/salt use? 

dan2x38

Now this idea I do not like. It is not that hard to determine if it is SW/FW. How do you post a filter, light, tank, etc? We are all in the same hobby keeping fish in a box. We want to pull members closer together not push them apart. Separate classifieds further segregates the two hobbyists. I have had salties come to my house for equipment and been to theirs for items. It was nice to see the other's set-ups! Besides when someone is selling or buying the Subject tells you what it is anyways or it should.... LF: candy canes ~ FS: riccia
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

barabe

I understand this as I have often wondered myself, especially when 'technical' or latin names are used. Maybe this could be resolved quickly by sellers adding SW or FW right into the subject... 

mseguin

I have a nice CF light fixture, that is currently used for freshwater but could easily be used for a salt tank. Same with powerheads, some filters, etc etc. As a seller you're gonna wind up hurting urself as you're potentially only reaching half the audience.

FocusFin

/\

Yup, it's not really up to the seller to decide whether an item is fresh or salt, it's in the eye of the beholder  ;)

Another example, you wouldn't use an Aquaclear filter on a saltwater tank but they make a good refugium.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

saltynewb

I don't think that separate sections are necessarily needed. I do however believe that everyone would benefit if Sellers would be more specific in their titles of what is for sale.

Edit: But looking back at the first page or 2 of the classifeids, the titles look pretty self explanitory.

xiaan

Maybe we should separate it into 3 sections FW Livestock, SW Livestock and Equipment?

charlie

I don`t think there is a need for it, the classifieds in my opinion was probably intended to be a supplementry forum to the more important ones that help share knowledge about the hobby, i wonder how folks make out on usedottawa.ca & kijiji.ca::)

Nerine

I have to agree with Charlie, the other online sites don't divide! only by category ...this is fish and this is cat etc
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

archie

lol.  glad everyone is with me....... getting off my soap box now...