New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS Auction rocked!!!!!

Started by BermudaBorn, February 29, 2004, 07:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambushman2j

I think it was good, tho I would have liked to have seen the rush/urgent thing used again, me and sylvie were feeling below the weather and were unlucky enough to have our last item on the 2nd last table...I was surprised how high some of the groups of cichlids went..I got outbid on almost everything, that was a little disappointing..but that's the life of the auction so it's all good..tho I think I personally helped art make a fortune!

I think perhaps jumping the opening increments slowly would be a wiser decision..perhaps 3$ next time?

perhaps as an added entertainment and a way to shorten time and ease the auctioneers presure a trial silent auction table be set up where maybe 1 or 2 tables of perhaps higher $$ goods be available for people to bid on paper until a certain time .. just a thought

I would like to thank everyone who volenteered their time and effort into making the auction and letting us have a good time

Anubias

For Jules' information, that mother of a sword is actually a grandmother. I bought her in 1980 in Oakville, Ontario. It was a large plant then. It only started producing young plantlets on the floral stocks about two years ago. These appear to correlate with the approach of Spring and Fall, i.e. a twelve hour day. Allow the plant stock to rise to the surface. The young plants will develop quickly there. You may have to cover the tank to maintain humid conditions as the planlets break the surface.
This species is a great plant insofar as it grows easily in low to moderate light conditions. CO2 is unnecessary, and too strong a light hinders it. Made sure that there is enough mulm or some source of root nutrition for growth.
I hope that you bring some of those many plantlets to next year's auction.

Regards,

Rick

I had a great time at the auction and would like to thank all the volunteers involved in making it possible; without them there would have been no auction!!! The auctioneers were great and I don't think many could have done better. The runners were fantastic and must have been tired at the end of the day.
Is there a way to have a separate auction for children where they could come with their own money and bid amongst themselves (no adults to outbid them)? After all they are the future hobbyists, the ones we want to encourage.  
Again thanks for a great day.

zapisto

Quote from: "Rick"I had a great time at the auction and would like to thank all the volunteers involved in making it possible; without them there would have been no auction!!! The auctioneers were great and I don't think many could have done better. The runners were fantastic and must have been tired at the end of the day.
Is there a way to have a separate auction for children where they could come with their own money and bid amongst themselves (no adults to outbid them)? After all they are the future hobbyists, the ones we want to encourage.  
Again thanks for a great day.

good idea :)
but difficult to do :)

and i would like also  to thank all the volunteers involved in making it possible; without them there would have been no auction!!! and no club

Evan

The auction was great.  I got a couple of nice plants. I had to rearrange my aquarium and now it looks wierd until some plants grow a bit more.    I even bought a club membership.

I also got an air pump that I needed.

IMO the volunteers did a great job.  Thanks everyone.

tanksalot

The auction was fantastic! My only regret is that it went on longer than we could stay, there was alot more I  wanted to bid on. I think the idea of having some stuff as a silent auction (on paper) would be great. Also when there are multiples of things (such as many of the same type of plant) is there not a way to say 'we have 10 of these Spiral Val. and they all get sold at the highest bid' ...it may speed things up.

Can't wait for next year! Congratulations to all the many hard working people it must have taken to pull off such a grand event!

tanksalot

james

Hi
To me the auction was run very well. To tag and organize everything
was a big challege. And as for the $2.00 min. I think it was necessay. And some of the item were at a higher starting point was because that was the min .put on it.

I manage to sell a lot of my excess equipment and got some very good deals on some fish..

As the club usually cut off in June every year I, I think that it would be a good time to have a summer auction as well! Any comments on this idea.

Once again  thanks for a job well done! Thanks!

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

artw

I think we just have larger than normal monthly auctions in May and September to cover the overlap :)

james

Yeh Art
Thats fine too !  But we should maybe advertise the last meeting auction as well, as the beginnig of the year meeting to get the ball rolling ie  last chance of the year auction or  a welcome back auction.

I notice that the beginning few meeting , the attendances were fairly low. Maybe a lot of regulars did not know  about them

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

artw

it is very expensive to place classified ads.  but yes i agree we need to start advertising our monthly meetings.

Troy

Thanks to everyone for the Auction it was great.
It had been a few years since I have been to Ottawa and my first time to the OVAS Auction.
I have also attended the large Auctions here in Montreal and also seen how things are processed. As well as my smaller monthly M.A.S meetings.

I would say starting at 2$ is fine no need to bundle items.  :wink:

The only thing I would suggest about the format to change is how you bid on an Item. At the large Auctions I have attended, you start at 2$ and start to increase slowly all bidders "must" keep there hand "with" the number up. The last bidder with his hand still up gets the Item. Put your hand down and think about it and you don't really want it the most!  There for you speed up the sale of all Items. I though things went very well, but this small adjustment might reduce the length of the auction. I know it does at the Very large Auctions here in Mtl.

I stayed until almost last table came up for sale and bid on some more of Arts Cichlids but was out bid by a lady who wanted the Cynotilapia afra White Top more than I did I guess. I still got Two of your other bags of cichlids.  :D  Cheers..... Troy.  :D

artw

Eirikre

I like the suggestion of all willing bidders keeping their hand up until the last one standing takes it.  Same basic bidding concept but should speed things up a bit.

I suspect though, that it will also drive up the prices a bit.

saltydog

I agree about the bidders keeping their cards up. Also think increments could be higher, depending on item. It does not have to be a buck at a time.

Higher prices are not such a bad thing. Sellers will bring in more better quality stock & merchandise!
-thankful for a tankfull-

artw

actually that type of bidding lowers prices.  because the auctioneers don't actually SELL the fish.
(none of that anyone for 10?  10?  you? 10? really nice plant! going once, going twice).

ambushman2j

by the way art, I think you did so well because you did your homework and provided really good presentation of your products, ie) the pictures of adults..well done old chap

Eirikre

Quote from: "artw"actually that type of bidding lowers prices.  because the auctioneers don't actually SELL the fish.
(none of that anyone for 10?  10?  you? 10? really nice plant! going once, going twice).

Good point

saltydog

I see your point, Art. However, the auctioneer can still "sell" the lot BEFORE he invites the bidding to begin. I concede that there would be less impulse bidding. But if the auction goes faster then there may be more bidders still around later during the auction which might make up for it.
-thankful for a tankfull-

artw

this is true too. since I worked cash I saw a LOT of people cashing out early and saying that Oh, I'd like to bid on x and x but we have to go ! etc.