New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 180g, 4 sided viewable project thread

Started by Hookup, August 28, 2009, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenon

Quote from: Dakotamay on February 05, 2012, 10:46:45 PM
Forty Fathoms in Gananoque?  Or is there one in Toronto as well?

Gananoque is on the way to Toronto and I highly doubt there is another fish store called Forty Fathoms in the entire planet. lol

Dakotamay

I know where it is. I deal exclusively with Jim. I live 40 minutes drive from Jim in Brockville. Between Ottawa and Kingston.

xenon, Just for interest sake. There is another store in the entire planet lmao, in the UK called Forty Fathoms.  Here's their site. http://www.fortyfathoms.com/. They are Forty Fathoms Aquarium and Pond Centre. So,your comment was very rude and uncalled for.

Jim's site is www.fortyfathoms.net.

Hey Hookup, can I ask why you made the comment "no smelly fish place...."?

brotherluv

Im guessing Forty Fathoms isn't a "smelly fish place"  hence the comment...I guess hookup can verify...

Hookup

Quote from: brotherluv on February 06, 2012, 07:51:05 AM
Im guessing Forty Fathoms isn't a "smelly fish place"  hence the comment...I guess hookup can verify...

Exactly. 

JetJumper

Quote from: Dakotamay on February 06, 2012, 07:19:24 AM
So,your comment was very rude and uncalled for.

I didn't find their comment rude at all?   ???

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Dakotamay

I did. It felt to me that I was being ridiculed or treated as if I was stupid for asking to clarify the store's location.  Maybe it's just me that saw it that way.

Quote from: JetJumper on February 06, 2012, 08:38:21 AM
I didn't find their comment rude at all?   ???

Bob P

What the ?
I've been down to Forty Fathoms.
Sure was a ton of pressure on my ears. ;)

brotherluv

I've been 20,000 leagues under the sea...my ears were a popping! ;D

Bob P

JD

Bob P

Winter Blah's
Getting loopy, c'mon summer. 8)

Hookup

Update
Well the tank was doing great up until about the first week of Jan... then things just looked... "stalled".  which is why I started logging progress here about the same time.  In the past 6 weeks growth has stopped, color has declined a bit and monti caps and encrusting monti's are taking a beating... digi's are doing better than ever..  LPS are still struggling...

I've traced it back to one of two events that occurred that week.

phosban & carbon
I did a change out of my phosban and carbon and probably added about 20%-30% more of each this time as I had been slowing increasing the volume of each for the past 6 months.  This could have stripped out nutrients too fast or something along those lines and caused the issue, but I cannot see why it would only effect some corals and not others.  It would account for the LPS issues however the color of most corals didn't go pastel which is a sign of ultra-low nutrient.

expired trace-b complex
I did also mix a new batch of Ca for dosing and added some trace-b complex to it.  This turned my Ca dosing water brown/rust colored... which at the time I thought weird... and just let it go about its way..   I took this off about a week ago and have been changing water like mad (200g in 5 days) and things have turned a corner.

My guess is the combo of using expired trace-b additives to the Ca dosing and the big increase in carbon and phosban are the root of the two issues... but i'm not sure...

What i am sure of... water-changes like crazy have again turned my tank back around and 'reset' the water column...  It's bloody expensive mistakes to fix with RoyalNature salt, but no question hard-core-water-changes (HCWC haha) fixes all.

Unfortunately, it's all speculation, but the current state is a better state so I can start to add corals in a few weeks...   

Cuba
And I leave for Cuba for a week on Wednesday morning... so we'll see what kind of disaster I return to now that I just got it back and stable... /sigh

dakrazyone

glad you managed to turn things around, any pics of your corals?

salvini55

If nothing malfunctions I'm sure the tank will look better than before you left for Cuba Tim. I'd love to see some sps macros when you have time :)

groupie02

Hookup

sorry, ive started a new job two weeks ago and been living in toronto 3+ days a week... barely enough time to clean the glass let alone take photos... :(

With the long weekend i'll try to take some shots... ive been looking at the tank lately and pretty happy with most of it (some of the LPS are still struggling)... and thinking a few photos are in order...

groupie02

well, that's some kind of update. Good luck with the new job!

Hookup

lol... srry... will get something with more meat soon.

Rybren

Feel free to move the tank to my place.  I'd glady care for it as if it were my own while you're away.  You'd have visitation rights, of course.
120G Reef