New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

150 gallon silicone needs touch-up have never done it before

Started by scottmd, July 01, 2005, 10:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmd

The silicone in one of the tanks corners looks a little crappy, but I am a little leary of cutting it out and redoing it as I have never done it before. Is there any magical or technical steps I should be aware of before attempting this?

As well, there is no center support on this 6 foot tank, which kind of frightens me a bit.  I am thinking of building a drop over canopy for it which will hold it in at the top, any other suggestions?

Obviously it must be ok as is as it has been used for years by the previous 2 owners with no problem, but I would rather err on the side of safe and dry, than the other way......

UCGrafix

Redoing the silicone 101.

It's an easy thing to do, make sure the tank is completely dry, and do not take any short cuts about this, then simply remove all the old silicone caulk from inside the tank, with an exacto knife, while taking great care, of not cutting through the silicone between the sealed glass, once all has been remove, vacuum the inside, to get rid of all the fine residue of caulking, then cut the new tube of caulking, to offer a wide spread bead, and caulk from one end to the other.
A practice area might be a good idea, if this is your first time.
Remember, that you are looking to apply a wide bead, not a think bead, if you wonder if there is to much caulking applied, you can use a large spoon tip, to remove the excess, when the job is completed.
Do this, by running the tip od the large spoon, as if you where picking up a spoon full of soup with the tip of the spoon, do this process slowly, when the spoon gets full of fresh caulking material, stop in your track, remove the spoon from the process, and wipe the spoon accumulated caulking with a clean rag.
What ever you do, do not use any kind of solvent, gas ect... in the process.
If you go about this process slowly, it will look good in the end.
If this is your first time doing caulking on a tank, do not try to make it perfect the first time, you will only end up smudging the caulking around, and messing up, accept that there might be visible imperfection, that will not detract from the good function of the aquarium.
Let the caulking sit and dry out completely for a week or two, then you can come back with an exacto knife when dry, and remove the little smudges here and there, that might have happened in the process.
Do not try to be a perfectionist about the whole thing, it comes with time and experience.
What you are looking to achieve before all, is to create a good seal, not a perfect looking job.

You can buy the silicone at any hardware store, use the Silicone II from GE, Kitchen and Bath, transparent, it costs about $5.00 a tube, with this, you are good to re caulk twice, an 86 gal tank with ease, and some spare left over.
This caulk also contains chemicals that is mildew resistant.

The secret is not to apply the thickness of a pencil in your bead, but the width of your finger, with not to much build up in the middle.
When cutting the tip of the caulk tube, cut at a 90 degree angle, a straight side cut, with no angle, this will give you the perfect tip to apply the caulk.
Do not follow the cut guide line on the tip of the tube, it will not give you the correct tip.
AGain, use a 90 degree small to try it out, and get the hang of it, if at one point you have applied to much, let it be, readjust your aim, and go slowly, the slower you go, the less mistakes you will make, do not apply to much pressure on the caulking feed, it will flow out real fast, and be out of control.

Don't forget to let the tank dry for at least a week or two, with a lot of fresh air to cure the caulking.
The smell goes away in about 2 weeks, if properly aired out.

Last but not least, do the whole tank, not just spots.

As for no centre support, play safe, not sorry, get one, make one, but do not use it as it is, even if it is supported all the way arround the tank, it would be prudent to add something in the mimddle, like a peice of wood would be great, cut to the correct thickness, and well place.

Regards,
Denis

PS : Sorry for repeating myself several time, but most people try to go to fast, press out to much caulk, and make a big mess, the slower you go, the better looking job it will be.

james

Hi
Everthing seems to be covered by the previous posting. The only think different from the process is that I use masking tape as a guide. I put masking tape about 1/2 inch from the corner on each piece of the glass. I apply a fairly thick bead of silcone all the way down the corner of the tank. Then with a wet finger I apply even pressure instead of a spoon smooth and even out the silcone. Then , I quickly remove the tape. This makes a almost prefect staight looking  flat seam.

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

aidensmomma2000

scottmd

Wow now that was an answer, thankyou very much everybody, I will be trying out your suggestions very soon. wish me luck  :lol:

328iGuy

Quote from: "scottmd"Wow now that was an answer, thankyou very much everybody, I will be trying out your suggestions very soon. wish me luck  :lol:

Good luck buddy!  8)