New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

(WIP) 60 Gallon - Setup

Started by pminister, March 05, 2010, 11:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pminister

Hello All,

Well summer is upon us soon, and I want to get my 60 Gallon tank ready by the end of summer b/c it has been sitting empty for 7 months now. I will have the stand built which, I am really looking forward too.

Though my only concern is doing water changes for my 60 Gallon tank which will be sitting in the basement, and I have no access to a water supply unless I get a really long pipe and hook it up to bathroom sink one level above.

As much I would love to bring a 10 Gallon bucket, up/down 2-3 times for a water change well I aint looking forward to that. Even though it might be a great opportunity to get a workout....but i will pass. lol

I was thinking to get a python, though I aint sure if the suction will be strong enough to pump out the water. Though I can always buy it, then give it a whirl...

Any suggestions folks ?  8)

garnpet

If it is a bathroom sink, one floor up, chances are the suction will not be enough.  I have issues with a tank that is 2 feet lower than a kitchen sink.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Toss

you must have somekind of drainage system in the basement right?
use garden hose, a long one i guess, connected to your sink one level up to fill the tank
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

pminister

Well I live in a rental townhouse, now I know there is a drain pipe in the basement. It just has been sealed, due to a prior pest problem and don't plan on reopening that.

Though filling the tank is not the issue, the main thing is to get the water out. The other idea I had was some how attach a water pump, and mod it with a python. I am just afraid of damaging the water pump, especially if debris passes through which could lead into a water playground.  :o

Soeman

You could always buy a cheapo sump pump from Canadian Tire or some other hardware store. Siphon the water out into a bucket with the pump in it, and pump the water up. This would probably be easier and cheaper than buying an aquarium water pump and frankensteining it with a python.

Soeman

This little gadget is going to be going on sale for 10$ at canadian tire next week (I think it might be a 2-week sale).
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/Plumbing/WaterPumps/PRD~0623531P/Drill%252BPump%252BKit.jsp
I've never tried it, and have no idea how strongly it can pump (also obviously depends on the drill used). Anyone ever tried something like this?

pminister

I think I might need to put one planter in my basement, that way any excess water I can dump it in the planter that way at least the plants will take advantage of that. lol

It seems this project will be more of a trial n error first, but at the worse I might just convince the family to move this beast into the living room one level above. Lets see....what happens =)

Stussi613

My wife was dead set against a "big" tank in the living/dining room area, but once it went in she was okay with it.  I'd suggest finding a spot for it on the main floor and dry testing it to see what the placement looks like before you commit to putting it in the basement.  My 60G shorty doesn't really take up that much room and now that it's being converted to discus she's actually excited about it.

The biggest issue I can see with your basement, from what I've read, is that you have no way to get rid of the water short of carrying it upstairs...what will you do if something happens and you have to get 50% of the water out of the tank because of a disease, or god forbid if the tank starts to leak?
I haz reef tanks.

Soeman

sounds to me like he can give up the gym membership and just haul water ;) woohoo! more money for the fishies!